Suitable Camera for indie filmmaking?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by SlaggBros, Sep 25, 2007.

1. SlaggBros

SlaggBros Member

I want to source a PAL digital camcorder to move the production of my videos up a step to a point where I won't be apologising for the quality. I have about £600 sterling to play with.

I'm looking for a 3ccd model with a mic output that ideally outputs uncompressed data. Some models sound great but then I hear that they use compressed output or use weird file extensions. I'm intending to input into Adobe Premiere Pro.

Most important qualities for me are 3ccd (for colour tones) / external mic jack / and sharp image.

Any suggestions please. I was thinking of the PV GS180.

Apologies if you've heard this all before.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

As long as you stick to miniDV (which will suit best for your needs; high qaulity and Premiere editing), you will have no problems with the format. Each miniDV will output exactly the same data as long as you use Firewire to do the transfer (BTW: it is not uncompressed, but still it is the best quality you can get from a consumer camcorder).
    If you need AV-in: make sure that it is not nEUtered. Many camcorders sold in Europe have input disabled, so double check at the store where you buy it.
    About 3CCD: it can give warmer colors. But it also has a downside: they may perfom less in low light conditions. But of you work in a studio with strong lighting, 3CCD is a good choice.
    Check the reviews and comparisons at http://www.camcorderinfo.com

3. SlaggBros

SlaggBros Member

At the mo, I'm torn between the Panasonic NV GS500 and the Canon HV20.

The Panasonic for its great image but the drawback being SD

The Canon for the HD resolution and cost (cheaper than the Gs500) but its drawback being the interlaced output apparently causes unnatural motion blurring.

I'm tending to the GS500

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

5. SlaggBros

SlaggBros Member

I meant Standard Definition as oppossed to High Def, sorry.

Will check the reviews out, cheers.