Tapeless camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ricster, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

Anybody ventured into the world of solid state memory based camcorders yet ? Any recommendations ?

2. ighs100

ighs100 Guest

jvc 30gb

3. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

^^^ That explains everything lol
    What do you mean? Like one of those cheap camcorders that you see at walmart that have to record onto an sd card? Or are there now HDD cameras out? Im stuck with a Hi-8 tape cam, and would be nice to upgrade it.

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

Don't know about walmart - I'm in the UK. I don't mean HD based either. I want something tiny and flash-based.

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you're looking for somthing like that you will end up with camcorders like the Samsung SC-X105L or the Panasonic SDR-S100.
    Because the limited amount of memory, camcorders like that will record in a rather compressed mode using e.g. MPEG-4. So, don't expect the quality that you can get from miniDV camcorders. Another consequence of using solid state memory is the amount of footage that you canrecord limited, certainly if you want to record using teh highest quality settings. They are also not cheap.
    Here are two usefull reviews:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1845911,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1855115,00.asp

6. ighs100

ighs100 Guest

the jvc 30 records to a harddrive 7 hours in dvd quality and 14 hours in standard mode. Also has a sd slot. with a ton of features