this my sound silly but

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by mcdm, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi All I’m looking to buy a DVD recorder with a hard drive, ”well actually my wife is threatening to buy one as our DVD player is having problems” I was wondering can I back up a DVD to the hard drive and then burn it afterwards?
    Does any DVD recorder have the ability to overcome encryption?
    Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated
    mcdm

2. JVC

JVC Active member

No stand-alone burner that I know of, will do this.
    The only way to copy a dvd is with a computer. With the prices of computers now, you can get one for just a little more than a good stand-alone recorder. You will need a video capture card installed, if you're wanting to record from tv or tapes, to the computer's HD.

Also, a stand-alone recorder will only record in mono or stereo. If you want to copy your dvds in surround sound, you MUST use a computer.
    Hope this helps..................
    Good luck! Keep us posted?

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Obviously, the computer would need a DVD burner and you would also need to buy the software ... the is a whole forum in this site devoted entirely to this subject and there is a lot of good info there. Good luck!

4. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Many thanks JVC and gerry1
    I used to have nothing but problems but I now have great success backing up and burning DVD'S all thanks to After Dawn and the very tolerant forum members.
    Recordable DVD players are new to me so your replies are good; if you don’t ask you don’t get “OR LEARN”
    It seems I will have to buy an ordinary Dvd for the time being
    Once again many thanks mcdm