Time is not on my side...

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Mayer, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Mayer

Mayer Member

Hello there, this is my first posting on this great site but I really need some help on working in the right direction.
    I am trying to transfer a home movie from my Digi cam to my nice new DVD burner, but i cannot get my head around why it takes so long to do this. I am not interested yet in menu's etc, I am not that expierienced. Surely there is a simple way to do this. I use Adobe Premier Pro 7 to transfer the dv to pc via firewire, no problem, the AVI is made up of 16 clips totalling around 90 minutes veiwing, Adobe then spent three and a half hours to convert it and it left me with two files one sound (wave) the other a m2v file, after re introducing these files to the timeline it and selecting export to dvd I gave up after it was rendering for nearly 6 hours. I now sit here waiting for this conversion process to rendered again (hopefully to MPEG2) using Ulead Vid Studio 6 and then assume another long period converting to dvd. After temerarilly using up over 20 gb of hard drive space and aruond 15 hours of my time is there a simpler way to create one and a half hours home movie DVD....now, where did i put those pills???

2. malum

malum Regular member

You are rendering it twice, which apart from the loss of quality is going to take some time.

I use Video Vegas to edit and then render it as DVD compatible mpeg2 (time taken depends on length and complexity of filters, effects etc but it can take a while)

I then drop this mpeg into DVD Architect which makes the menu and creates the DVD structure.
    It will not re-render the mpeg2 file and therefore the process takes about ten minutes.

If you don't want to edit you can drop your AVI straight into Architect and it will turn it into a DVD.

3. malum

malum Regular member

By the way you can author a DVD directly with the m2v and mpa file (you need to save the sound as an mpa file which will be an option somewhere) you got from Adobe

Ifoedit (freeware) will turn these two into DVD structure ready to burn in about ten minutes.

4. Mayer

Mayer Member

Thanks Malum.

I really think I have gone the wrong way with this. What I think happened was after the capture Ulead Video then converted to MPEG then when I selected burn DVD it then rendered it again. Did not take as long with Ulead but under Adobe Premier I could not understand that after nearly 4 hours rendering (or converting to MPEG??) the end product was two files, one the sound and the other an m2v ?? file which then had to be converted again to burn as DVD, after about 2 hours I aborted with Adobe and tried it out with Ulead Video, still took forever., however I will try out the process you mention and let you know how it went. By the way, am I right that first the dv is "encoded" then it is "rendered"?? is there not a way to avoid the encode, this took up most time.

More pills required,

5. malum

malum Regular member

Rendering and encoding are the same thing
    It needs encoding into DVD compliant mpeg2 (or the m2v and mpa files) and then converting into DVD burnable files (VOBs and IFOs)

The rendering/encoding takes the time the conversion should take ten minutes or so

Re-encoding a two hour film using CCE (the best product out there) takes ten hours or so on my machine (for three passes variable bit rate)
    Re-encoding is an extremely cpu intensive task and will take a long time.

Ulead will take less time to re-encode because it isn't as good quality wise as Premier Pro.
    Most of this doesn't matter for home movies though

6. Mayer

Mayer Member

Hmmmm I seem to be getting to grips with this now. I have been looking at some reviews on Vegas and DVD Architect and the reports seem to be ok. Adobe, whilst quite comprehensive, is somewhat daunting and does not seem to see the whole process through (ie menus etc).

So, the proceedure is transfer via firewire to pc (dv to pc), then render to MPEG2, then create the DVD, and I assume to most time waiting around is with the render?. WOnder why Adobe Premier wanted to do it al over again when the initial render was done?

You guys make it seem so easy. I think the key to this is having a programm that you are comfortable with (that includes media)and no wife to give you grief.

7. malum

malum Regular member

Sounds about right.
    Usually if the program wants to re-render something that you already rendered it means you didn't put the right settings in for a DVD compliant mpeg.

Vegas Video is an awesome tool, I have only scratched the surface of what it can do.
    If you are used to Premiere you may find the adjustment a little trying but do persevere.

8. Mayer

Mayer Member

Excellant!!

I shall give it a whirl. I will see what the prices are in the UK.

Thanks for the help, buy u a beer sometime in cyberspace...

9. malum

malum Regular member

It isn't cheap.

At the risk of getting a slapped wrist there are ways and means round this *cough*

10. Mayer

Mayer Member

I really do not know what you mean????

Do you have a slight cough? Take a good swig of quality Brandy