Time lapse help

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by blueboy4, Dec 17, 2006.

1. blueboy4

blueboy4 Member

Anyone know how to make a time lapse video from still pictures or normal video? I'm also interested in flash photography (the kind that captures a drop of water just as it hits the surface).

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

The type of picture that you reefer to can be done in 2 ways. Either you use a camera that is capable of very fast shutter speeds, or is done in a darkened room using a high speed flash gun as the source of light with a camera with its shutter in the open position.

In order to catch a splash of water or a bullet in mid air, you need one of the above.

I believe you can achieve the result using a digital SLR. I have not tried this myself but most DSLRs can go up to 1/4000th of a second and some can go even faster to 1/8000th of a second.

U should setup the shot using a tripod and pre-focus on the spot where you are expecting the water drop to hit. You should turn off the Auto focus and set the maximum shutter speed available. adjust the ISO speed to get a decent exposure and just pray for good timing. I can tell you it is not going to be easy to get the timing of the shot right as you are dealing with a very tiny slice of time.

If and when you are successful in getting the perfect shot of the drop and it's splash, please post your results so we can all check it out.

good luck

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  3. behrad

behrad Regular member

one more thing, you are going to need a very decent macro lens for the ability to focus close to the subject.