To our UK mates.(Importation question)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ZippyDSM, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Got into a interesting conversation ( http://gamepolitics.com/2008/04/27/how-games-get-rated-in-the-uk/ )
    over the BBFC,definition of obscene in the UK and importation and contraband rules, so I had a thought since I can't find much hard info I would come here where I know we have a large UK user base.

My question is if something turns up the nose of the prissy BBFC how hard is it to important it and how often dose stuff get confiscated?

BTW can you do a word/sentence as a link here? 0-o

2. varnull

varnull Guest

It all depends on what it ia, and if customs decide to open it.

The govt here are ripoff bastards.. They insist that 17 1/2% tax is payable on almost everything imported from the US.. It is applied randomly and customs will hold items indefinitely until it is paid. I know.. they have been holding 12 Wii's since Nov 19th.

As for obscene publications... It's a grey area. They can and will confiscate and destroy anything they find and think breaks the rules.. One thing I really wouldn't do is sent burned disks of copyrighted material. The best plan for sending stuff like that is to mock it up as say "family xmas".. and pop it in a sleeve inside a birthday card and shove it in the ordinary mail.
    But saying all that. It's dead easy to smuggle guns and explosives through our system.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Focusing on Violent films and games.