Toshiba DVD Player SD 5000 with HD Upconversion picture quality

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by brucewayn, Sep 12, 2007.

1. brucewayn

brucewayn Member

I just purchased a Toshiba DVD Player with HD Upconversion Model: SD-5000 and the picture has improved but in dark scenes I see shadows and the color is often off, making it look fuzzy. I am using a HDMI to DVI cable on my Samsung 61 DLP 720p. Any suggestions to improve the picture or suggest another Upconverting player?.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

You're Batman! You're not supposed to be watching dvds. You're supposed to be out saving Gotham! :eek:)

Have you done any calibration to your tv?
    Most Disney dvds, or Star Wars dvds, have the THX Optimizer on them, in the "Extras". You can calibrate your tv, to an acceptable level, until you can do better. Some people never do better. Some people have them ISF Calibrated, after a break-in period, but that costs around $400-$500. When I finally get an HDTV, I'll probably have mine ISF Calibrated. That gets the tv's picture as perfect as it can possibly be. Most people rave about how good it looks, after having it done......

Everyone that has an Oppo player, loves them. See them here: http://www.oppodigital.com/
    If you're upconverting burned dvds, they're not going to look as good as a dvd that has no compression.
    Good luck!