uh oh...computer....dead?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Oct 5, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

ok...I was cleaning the thermal paste off my P4 (with 99% isopropyl alcohol, as everyone suggests) and I got a little on my mobo. The computer was turned off, power unplugged, and it happened. I am afraid to turn it on, and dont know what to do. help? btw...is isopropyl alcohol conductive?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

If it's the type you bought in a Drug Store -- there is a good chance that it had water content to it -- it's sold as Rubbing Alcohol.

However if you bought Pure 99.9% [bold]anhydrous[/bold] isopropyl alcohol -- This water-free product is a highly efficient and economical all-purpose cleaner for a wide range of technical applications and sensitive surfaces. It is safe on all surfaces and will not harm plastics, non residual with no rinsing or wiping required.

Regards !

3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

ok...it says "99% Isopropyl Alcohol Antimicrobial Use" "99% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume" "First Aid Antiseptic"

Thats what I used, thats what got onto the motherboard, is it OK to turn on the computer?

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That is plain Rubbing Alcohol -- not to be used on electrical parts ! It leaves a greasy film and has a water content. You can go to a repair shop and buy the Electronic Parts cleaning fluid , and clean up the greasy film this thing has left, then re-apply your thermal coat ! And you should be homefree !

Regards !