Upscaling DVD Player via Component Cables?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dohati, Jan 5, 2008.

1. dohati

dohati Member

Can anyone recommend a DVD player that upscales via component cables? My current set up has my DVD player going to a receiver before the tv for surround sound. My receiver does not have any HDMI in/outs, only component in/outs so I was looking around for a DVD player that upscales via component cables. From what I've found, its rare because of copyright issues. I found one brand, Helios H4000 that does it but was wondering if anyone knows of any other ones. Oh yeah, my tv is an hdtv. Thanks!

2. LILBUCK

LILBUCK Guest

check out the lg lda-831 it has component out and hdmi as well as standard audio/video but the best thing about this player is that it will play anything. ntsc/ pal, dual layer, burned dvd's.... there has not been one problem since I bought this player for $89.99 canadian at futureshop. oh I almost forgot it is an upconversion player up to 1080i/1080p

3. JVC

JVC Active member

The only dvd player that upconverts over component cables (that I know of), is one of the Oppo players (forget which one). It has to be hacked to do that, but the hack is supported by Oppo. Even then, it only upconverts dvds that have no copy protection on them.

So, backups is all it works with. The backups need to be on DL discs, or it's trying to upconvert a compressed dvd, which may or may not look good, depending on how much compression was used.

Sounds to me like it isn't worth the trouble..............