USB restarts my PC

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pinkerton, Jan 18, 2004.

1. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Hello

My pc keeps rebooting when i start it up, it gets to the desktop then, without warning restarts as if ripped the powerlead out, it does this about 3 times before starting normally. I reckon its my modem (which is connected via USB) 'cause now i've taken it out it never does it. i just have to plug it back in when i want to go on the net.

Any suggestions?

cheers :)

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Virus ?

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

I had a similar thing a while back. It was a USB Nostromo N50 Speedpad. When it was connected I couldn't boot properly, but it would work fine if I plugged it in after everything had booted. I did all the usual things, updated to latest drivers and all, but never did figure it out. This was on a pc running windows 98, and after it was replaced with XP the problem went away.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly you are close on maxing out your power supply. A USB device will pull about 5 watts and maybe the initial surge of everything on bootup is maxing it out. For instance a hard drive spining up to 7500 RPM uses more power to get there than one that is already spinning at that speed.