use rewritable DVD discs in any digital camcorders?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by daddySEAL, Oct 14, 2005.

1. daddySEAL

daddySEAL Member

4 questions please:
    1st)Can I use them(re-writable discs) at all, and then reuse disc after downloading video to my PC?

2nd)Are there any camcorders like that for amateur users under $400 (US)? Or would digital camcorders with hard drive storage be better?

3rd)which make/models are good with basic features for "casual" users?

Thanks....I REALLY need advice on this, because my Only experience with video is VHS camcorders and analog capturing programs on my computer. I'd like to still edit with my PC digital video software, but skip the PC "capturing process".

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You want to edit your video? Don't go for a DVDcam but for miniDV.
    The tranfer process is easy, reliable and straightforward. Only disadvantage is that it takes one hour to capture a one hour tape (but you don't have to stay behind your PC during the process). You will loose much more time getting the DVD footage into a decent editing program (and get frustrated by the process). Furthermore minDV is still better quality than DVDcams...

3. daddySEAL

daddySEAL Member

OK...Thanks

WHICH editing programs can I use?
    I have a bunch of "older"(like 2 yrs old)ULead programs like WorkShop 2 and MovieFactory 7 (& Tsunami TMPGEnc) Will those work?

Now....Please Which moderately priced camcorders are good?
    (I hope I can transfer/capture to PC thru a USB port/cable. I don't want to have to buy a Firewire card and cables!)

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The program that you want to use very much depends what level of editing you want to do and how much money you wnat to spend. If it just basic, you may be satisfied with MovieMaker which included in Windows XP, if your want very advanced you can go up to a program like Adobe Premiere Pro (but note the price tag). Here's a listing with some well known companies including a short description of their products:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/siteinfo/suppliers.php

By the way: WorkShop 2 and MovieFactory 7 are not really video editing programs, but DVD authoring packages. If you want to stick to Ulead you would have to choose VideoStudio which is a medium level program.

About selecting a camcorder.
    First read this article to know what to pay attention to get some basics: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/camcorder.php
    Next check out the models from some of the major players like Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Canon etc. and select some camcorders that have specifications that you like and fits within your budget.
    Finally, read the reviews on the models you selected at:
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Finally: you SHOULD buy a Firewire card. Transfer over USB is not good: most miniDV camcorders don't even transfer video over USB and if they do it is low quality and you will find out that it is difficult to capture. You can buy a Firewire card plus cable for less than $30. It is plug and play, so you even don't have to install drivers.

5. daddySEAL

daddySEAL Member