Using Camcorder to convert anolog to DV

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Scr33ch, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Scr33ch

Scr33ch Member

I've got a Sony DCR-TRV310 NTSC and I would like to get the camcorder to input analog and output digital (ADC) with out recording to a tape. I know I can to realtime DAC to display output from PC on TVs, or record to VHS.

Anyone know of a way to set the camcorder up to do this. Maybe a way of modifing to it to get it to do this? I'm confident to tear this this apart again, a friend dropped on it pavement and I had to disassamble nearly the whole thing to repair the lock/standby
    switch.

Perhaps a list of camcorder's that are able to this could be useful.

2. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

To buy a Camcorder for this "feature" ?
    you shouldn't, I bought my self the Canopus
    ADVC-100 (399euro)it has also a "cheatmode" to
    disable Macrovision, which i guess isn't
    available on a Camcorder...
    This analog > DV convertor works like a charm,
    less expensive, and does things only higher
    priced DV camcorders have.

btw. Terratec has also a device like this.

3. obieobied

obieobied Member

i'm not exactly sure what you want to do.
    but i guess its similair to what I do.
    I use my Sony DCR-TRV720 to capture TV or Video Games that i play and pass 'em over to PC in DV format.
    I just put everything next to each other

First, the jacks to output from cam to tv, i put them in the outputs on the TV, and then in the Menus (in VTR mode)
    You go to VTR Set
    Then A/V-> DV Out and set that to ON.
    then u can output to PC in realtime.
    it works for me. if u cant find the A/V->DV OUT option in the menu, then ur camera can not output in realtime [from analog 2 PC]

If this is not what you wanted to do, i have been wasting time to get my cam, and check the menu so i hope this is what u wanted. lemme know. (in this forum)

4. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Yes, that is exactly why i almost bought
    a new camcorder, (still got a good Hi8 cam) for this "realtime" feature, i discovered in time there are also "boxes" which do the same thing, (+disabling Macrovision) and are less exspensive.
    The only thing is, you have "only" stereo sound, because, when, in a later stage,you want it to use it for HDTV, you have to buy another one, for six sound channel support.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2003
  5. Scr33ch

Scr33ch Member

Obieobied, that is exactly what I'm wanting. But, based on the details you gave about configuring camcorder to do this I'm almost sure that the TRV-310 can not do this unless it can be modified to do so. I would buy a comcorder just for this feature, but the 310 is an older model and the newer models have a much higher ccd count, so an upgrade may be in order within a year or so.

Thank You for the input, I may be able to borrow a friend's newer model and see if it can do what I want. And now I have a good idea of what menu option to look for when I'm shopping for a new camcorder.

Screech

6. strings41

strings41 Member