Using CDR-RW or DVD-RW as floppies.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by aw56001, Oct 12, 2008.

1. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Hello
    I have been using floppy disks ever since I got my WinXP computer to save and back up important files. I have a CD burner and a DVD burner with Nero 8 installed and would rather ditch the floppy. If I call up a file on a floppy and alter it I can just replace the file without having to rename it.
    Is it possible to do the same on CDR-RW and DVD-RW?
    I don't want to go through the rigmarole of burning with Nero as it takes too long. I have also used the 'send to' option with CD-RW but it won't just replace the file so you have to rename it for it to work.
    What I am looking for is a solution that is as easy as opening, altering and replacing a file on a floppy.
    Many thanks
    aw56001

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

1. If your data is important to you, NEVER back up the data, using packet writing software, like N-ero's InCD.

2. Never back up your important data to re-writeable CDs or DVDs. Use a CD-R ($0.10) or a DVD+/-R Disc ($0.25).

I don't have N-ero on this computer, but I think that N-ero Burning ROM is the program that you want to use. I use Roxio's Creator Classic, so if I am wrong about the N-ero program, someone will stop in, and correct me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. aw56001

aw56001 Member

GrandpaBW
    Thanks for your reply.
    I do have Nero Burning Rom and can use either CDR, CDRW, DVDR or DVDRW. The problem with this is that you have to rename the file and burn the file every time that you edit it so you end up with multiple files of the same sort e.g accounts1, accounts2, accounts3 etc.
    I just wondered if there was a way that you could call up a file from CDRW/DVDRW, edit it and just write over it it using the same file name (like you can on floppy disks) without having to mess about clean erasing the disk and writing the file from scratch.
    Thanks
    aw56001