video/audio sync problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by leedaa, May 10, 2007.

1. leedaa

leedaa Member

I have downloaded season 10 of stargate sg1, but the audio and video are not in sync. I tried using MPEG video wizard to sync them, but the program does not handle VBR mp3 audio. Can anyone help me with this. I have read some of the various posts about syncing video and audio but to be honest am a neebie to this and most of it went over my head. I would be forever grateful to anyone who can help me.
    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

2. attar

attar Senior member

For an AVI file, you can try AVI-MuxGUI.
    If an out of sync number appears then generate a new file and test it.

3. leedaa

leedaa Member

Thank you for your help. I just download the AVI MuxGI program and will try it today.I will let you know if it works for me. I have often downloaded things with this problem and usually just deleted them when the audio and video were out of sync. It will be good to have a way to fix them and avoid wasting my download time.
    Leedaa
    Againm THANK YOU!

4. leedaa

leedaa Member

Thank you for your help.
    I have checked the files using AVI-MuxGUI I highlighted each episode (the first 12) and then generated the data, then clicked on audio and each showed the delay as 0ms. However I know that the video and audio were out of sync on several of these. Now I am wondering if there is a different cause for the problem. The AVI-MuxGUI showed that each audio file was a 2-channel audio (stereo?) I have both nerovision and convertxtodvd set to convert audio to 5.1; Could this be the cause of the problem? I just assumed that the programs could convert the audio to 5.1 because they offered the choice in the respective menus. I was hoping to get surround sound.

Thank you for any suggestions and for your help.

5. attar

attar Senior member

If it's AC3 2 channel then you aren't going to get any more channels out of it after conversion ;)
    Since it's out of sync before conversion, you might want to try this.
    First find out the amount that the sync is out using Media Player Classic, then use VirtualDub to adjust by the same amount.

Open the video in Media Player Classic, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option.
    Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number.
    Click OK, and play the video.
    Keep changing this number until the audio lines up.
    Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds,write it down.

Open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List.
    Right-click on the stream and select Interleaving.
    In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC.
    Click OK, OK.
    Click Video > Direct Stream Copy.
    Click File -> Save As.. and save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file.

Media Player Classic
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

VirtualDubMod
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65889