Video Camera Capture Issues Panasonic GS500

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by nhar068, Dec 19, 2007.

1. nhar068

nhar068 Member

Hi I have a Panasonic GS500 MiniDV video camera and I have been filming with it and capturing footage off it for more than a year. I use Windows Movie Maker to capture the footage normally.

Normally after I capture the footage the captured file plays fine smooth playback with good quality but recently the video files I playback are extremely choppy and my existing video files that played perfectly before now also play choppy.

I suspect it is a problem with the codec that is playing the file (Type 1 Microsoft DV right?) If you guys could give any advice it would be most appreciated as this is over 9gbs worth of footage. Thanks

2. SwellBo

SwellBo Member

is your hard drive full? and make sure when you capture footy that it's not compressing it.

3. nhar068

nhar068 Member

the harddrive is not full and im sure it wasnt compressing it when I captured it

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You are using a firewire connection to capture?

They wouldn't play at all, if you didn't have the right codec installed.

Update your video drivers, get rid of any malware/spyware that you have on your computer, scan for viruses, defrag your hard drive, reboot, and try again.

If the files are .avi files, and they should be, try playing them in Windows Media Player, and see if they run smoothly there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. nhar068

nhar068 Member

I have scanned my PC and its clean I will defragment my harddrive. My video card drivers are the latest ones (i believe) and the files used to play perfectly smoothly, I am using firewire to capture it. My query about the codecs was that maybe there was a confliction between the Microsoft DV Codec and Windows Media Player 11 (also for your information i have no codec packs installed).

The choppiness and slow motion like playback remains in WMM, WMP and even in real player

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could download Gspot (free), and find out if the necessary codec is there, for the video files.

7. nhar068

nhar068 Member

well im sure the codec is there but im not sure if it is functioning correctly, if the codec was not present then the video file is likely not too load but i will download gspot and check anyway, thanks

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I assume that you captured as DV-AVI.
    (Check this: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/moviemakermistakes.php )

Options I can think of:
    - your CPU is kept bust doing other things. Use msconfig to disable as many as possible programs that are loaded at startup.
    - make sure that you have DMA (or Ultra DMA) is enabled on your hard drive
    - your have a problem with your graphics card (although I see that you already updated your drivers)
    - your Windows installation (which included the DV-codec has been screwed up). I guess this can only be fixed by doing a system restore or use the original Windows CD to do a repair

One option that you have is to install a third party DV codec. You can download the Panasonic DV codec (freeware) from this page:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php