Video Capture Always Too Dark

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fooble, Mar 9, 2008.

1. fooble

fooble Member

Using a new Canon ZR-500 and a new firewire card and cable, I played my little movie into XP's Movie Maker. Unlike the bright and correct video in the camera, the video shows up on the computer as very dark. At first, I thought the problem was Movie Maker, but I got the same result with two other programs. So, I figured it had to be the cable. Nope. Same dark result with another new DV cable. Playing the video into the TV was perfect, just as in the camera, so the camera and tape did not seem to be the problem. It had to be the common link between camera and computer, I mused ... the firewire card! Alas ... no cigar. Same problem with a new card ... dark video recorded on the computer. So, now, I am completely at a loss. I have no clue. And I can't understand how all these people on MySpace and YouTube can do it so easily ... record a little video with normal brightness and contrast. What am I doing wrong?!

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

How did you save the file? AVI or WMV?

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Also, have you tried WinDV? It is a free program.

4. fooble

fooble Member

I saved it as both, in different programs. Thanks for the WinDV tip.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There's a big difference between .avi files and .wmv files. The .avi files are the way to go.

6. fooble

fooble Member

Okay. Thank you, again. And ... WHY are AVI files better?

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

They are basically lossless compression when capturig. WMV files are good for Youtube. :)

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

AVI files are not always better, because AVI is not actually a format but a container that contains video and audio streams. What is important what compression is used.
    On miniDV the used compression is DV, so if you capture to DV-AVI (which is what WinDV does and also MovieMaker if you apply the correct settings) the quality of the video file will be exactly the same as the original on tape.
    If you capture as wmv, the video is compressed using wmv compression, which has a much higher compression rate as DV-AVI (at least in settings that are commonly used), In generl: thehigher the video compression, the lower the quality.

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I stand corrected, sort of. I only capture as DV-AVI. That is the comparison that I intended to make. Quality vs junk.

10. fooble

fooble Member

Thanks, Gramps. I suppose you can use AVI on YouTube, as well.

11. xodenon

xodenon Member

oh my god!! its like u read my mind. i've been looking for this problem everywhere. i have a samsung dvd camcorder and whenever i play it back on my laptop its so dark compared to what i "thought" i recorded. I called samsung regarding this problem and they told me that when you record something and you change the brightness of the lcd screen, it only changes the brightess of the lcd not the video (stupid). so i asked him how i can see the ACTUAL video on the camcorder and they told me that the most reliable way to look at ur video is throo the viewfinder. If you dont' have a view finder change the lcd screens to their default brightness and they'll give you ur final results.