Video capture problems

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lfdiegel, Jun 2, 2009.

1. lfdiegel

lfdiegel Member

I have an emachine T5082 running vista home edition. I purchased a JVC R-D350 mini dv camcorder and found I had no firewire ports.I installed a startech pci firewire card and used the firewire cable that came with the camera. I have checked in the device manager and it says the hardware in working correctly and drives are intalled and working. I open windows movie maker and it say that it cannot find any device to capture from. Anyone have any ideas to fix this?

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Make sure computer and camera are off. Hook firwire cable to camera and then pc. Turn on camera first, then wait about 5secs, turn on computer. Then after windows is loaded see if your camera is detected.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I suppose that there may be video cameras that do come with a firewire cable, but I never had one that came with one.

Mine came with a USB cable and the normal RCA cable for connecting the video camera to a TV.

Are you absolutely sure that it came with one? My guess is that it must have, if you could connect to the Startech firewire card.

4. lfdiegel

lfdiegel Member

I am sure that this camera came with the firewire cable. The camera is not equipped with a usb port, only a firewire port. I have tried everthing I can think of and still nothing,. Even tried the turning both off and on again. According to the device manager everything is working properly. I did find however that my expansion card text is disabled. Would this affect the camera-computer operation? Anyway next step is to take it to somone and see if they can figure this one out.

5. flcaptain

flcaptain Member

lfdiegel,

It is one of 3 problems.
    Fire wire port on camera inoperative
    Fire Wire port on PC inoperative
    Bad Fire wire cable.

You have to systematically rule each one out till you find the problem. Find what does work and it will lead you to what does not work

Has the camera ever worked with any PC? If you just got the camera and it does not work with your PC do you have any friends who have a PC and a fire wire card? Do you have another fire wire device (hard drive)? Do any of your friends?

If not take it to the store you bought it from if they sell computers. Many laptops now have fire wire ports built in. Explain to the store that you just got the camera and the fire wire link des not work and you would like to use one of their fire wire equipped computers to help diagnose the problem.

Good Luck