Vista won't even recognize my camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by robpardee, May 19, 2008.

1. robpardee

robpardee Member

I have a Panaonic PV-GS31 which I used to use a firewire card and cable on my old computer to transfer video. Now, I have a new dell computer with vista home edition and a built in 4 pin firewire port. I got a new dual 4 pin firewire cable because the camcorder has a 4 pin firewire port also. After plugging this into my computer, plugging the camera in and turning the power on nothing happens. I checked in "my computer" and there was nothing there. I also tried windows movie maker, adobe premiere and Roxio, and none of these programs recognized the device was attached.
    HELP!!!!

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

SHut everything off( computer, camera). Plug firewire into both the computer and camera. Turn on camera and then computer.

3. robpardee

robpardee Member

Ok, I tried that and it still didn't work. What's weird is the computer doesn't seem to recognize my camera at all. Any other ideas!? Thank you though.

4. robpardee

robpardee Member

Ok, I called panasonic and they said that I needed the power cord in order to load videos onto my computer. Of course I don't have one and can't find one anywhere. Also what struck me as odd was on my old computer I could load videos up with the battery but now it doesn't work on my new laptop.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get this ac adaptor, it's a 7.9V input as stated on the camera.
    Or does anyone know if this is the reason why I can't transfer video despite being able to do it this way on my old computer?

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It's a Panasonic camcorder, and Pansonic doesn't have a power adapter?

Capturing video, when only using battery power, has NEVER been recommended, for obvious reasons.

6. robpardee

robpardee Member

Well, I checked their website and found the accesories but when I checked for availability it said that they weren't available. So I'm kind of stuck.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Check out this link:

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartsList.asp

I just looked again, and you are correct. They aren't available. You should contact them and find out why not.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  8. varnull

varnull Guest

Somehow I get the feeling that even if you source a power cord it will make no difference. The problem here is with the appalling hardware support in fista.