VOB files really deleted?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by J.Price, Mar 10, 2003.

1. J.Price

J.Price Member

I have a 120 gig hd but can only account for a max of 60 gigs but have been backing up my movies like crazy lately and just received a notice that I am out of space. When I just deleted a VOB I only got back part of the space used. Is there any way to make sure that they are deleted forever and that space is returned to the HD for use. thank you, j. price

2. monzaman

monzaman Guest

120 gig eh? OK I need more info.
    What's your OS
    What's your HD File System NT or FAT32?
    When you installed the disk, did your OS recognize the disk at around 118gig when formatted?
    How are you deleting the files?
    Are you using a protected recycle bin?
    Are you making back up files without knowing it?

MONZAMAN

3. J.Price

J.Price Member

MONZAMAN;
    I bought 120 gig with XP & it stated a 111 gig HD with the rest in reserve for accidents or something like that.
    -I believe it is FAT 32
    -111 gig as noted
    -deleting files by throwing them in the trash BUT the VOB are usually to big to go into the trash and the computer asks if I want to permanently delete the file; to which I say yes
    -the system is norton protected as well as the trash
    -as far as back ups I am not conscienciously making them
    thanks for your help

4. monzaman

monzaman Guest

JP
    XP can only read 32gig of a FAT32 volume it needs NTFS for full usage of the HD. You can convert a FAT32 to NTFS without losing data but be sure to defrag and check disk first. Use the command line to convert from FAT to NT. And backup first of course.
    BUT if your seeing 60gig you are probably on NT anyway UNLESS the drive is partioned.

Although FAT32 partions can be 32gig the max FILE size is only 4 gig so if you ripped from a 4.7gig DVD using (FAT32) XP, XP would create two 4gig files with 3.3gig wasted!!!

NOTE. All XP users should use NTFS and not FAT32 unless your network (if you have one) has other OS's on it or you want to run old 98 software/games. FAT32 is no more than a glorified floppy disc format and who trusts floppy discs to store critical data. If you had a new Ferrari would you strip out the engine (NTFS) and replace it with a rubber band (FAT32)??? LARGE FILES NEED NTFS!

If you are on NTFS remove the protection on the recycle bin and set the size of the bin to about 300meg (this should be plenty) then do a defrag and then check disk for bad blocks etc.

Hope I've helped

MONZ