Want to buy Sony DCR-HC42 or Sony DCR-HC32

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Imacer, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Imacer

Imacer Member

How much diffrence is there between these two camcorders? Which camcorder is better? I just film basic home use and outdoors.

2. Imacer

Imacer Member

I don't take photos with the video camera have SLR. So would it be a good idea to upgrade for the video. I do have a Sony TRV 22. Was there any improvments with the new 32 and 42. or shall I just stay with mt Sony TRV 22.

3. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

im not sure what the the trv-22 specs are but...important features

both are touchscreen menu's, which are very nice

the HC32
    20 optical zoom
    black & white viewfinder

the HC42
    12 optical zoom
    very nice 123K color viewfinder
    TRUE 16:9 widescreen
    comes with a dock

iv just got the 42 2 weeks ago, very nice..only problem im having is with the transfere of video its a tape thing though i think, you can read about it here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/240338

4. forus

forus Member

Any opinions about the HC42 vs. HC32. I will buy one of them and care less about design, still-image qualities, lcd screen, viewfinder and more about optical qualities, video resolution/quality.

How much difference will 12x zoom (of the HC42) be from the 20x zoom (HC32)? Is it worth spending the extra $100 to get the HC42 even though the zoom is 8x less?

Thanks,
    Paul

5. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

in that case i would go for the 32.

the 100 dollors your paying for is all for the widescreen, and color viewfinder. so if thats not important than why pay for it. and the extra 8x would be im guessing another 10-15 feet maybe. but the 12x is plenty already...at 12x its hard to keep the camara still without shakes even with the stabilization on. works great but after zooming the effectivness drops a little bit.

they are in the same class, the only 2 in the upper class that is. Resolution is the same (which by the way kicks butt)
    where are you buying it from?

PS - about the other thread i linked 2, i found out that it was the firewire port on the dock, it was faulty.

hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  6. forus

forus Member

Thanks. I am an european in the US so I will get a PAL version from A&M Photo World. I sure look forward to get this cam!
    Good to know that you resolved the firewire problem.

7. Imacer

Imacer Member

What about the video resoloution between the 32 and 42. I am just into the video for a camcorder. does the 42 have a better video resolution? I don't take photos with a camcorder.

8. Imacer

Imacer Member

What is the video resolution on the Sony 42 and the Sony 32, both are mini DV.

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The main difference between these two is that the 42 has a bigger CCD and more pixels, so expect that the 42 has a better image quality and better low light performance.

10. Imacer

Imacer Member

Is the image quailty the same as video resolution on Digital Camcorder? I don't take still image with camcorder.

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There are a couple of things that keep confusing people, so let me explain.
    The resolution of the image is the same for every camcorder, because it is simply the resolution used for TV (720x576 for PAL, 720x480 for NTSC). This has nothing to do with the number of pixels though. The more pixels the more detail can be recorded, but at the end the result will be stored in the system resolution by interpolation.
    Beside the number of pixels and important specification is the size of the CCD. A bigger CCD will simply receive more light so it will perform better specifically under low light conditions. Typical size CCD's are 1/6", 1/5.5", 1/4" etc.
    So, look at the number of pixels and the size of the CCD and this will be a good first indication of how good the quality of the image will be.

12. eredhuin

eredhuin Member

I bought the 42 after looking at both for a while. I bought it at the Sony store in Toronto's Eaton Centre where I was able to haggle $80 off the base price at $799.

Thoughts:
    - pictures captured to the memory stick card are at 1152x864 instead of 640x480
    - the viewfinder is color
    - it comes with a better capacity battery

I was initially very keen on the "true" 16:9 format, but don't let that decide anything for you.. It is not a "true" 16:9 in the sense that the ccd is 16:9; it ends up cropping out the top and bottom parts of the 4:3 image and optically zooming this to fill the 16:9 viewfinder. I guess because they have more lines internally than NTSC, they can call it "True" 16:9, but don't expect a miracle. Apple's iLife '05 claims to support 16:9; the prior version which I have just shows vertically squished video.