web site and games

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by stuart22, Sep 6, 2007.

1. stuart22

stuart22 Member

myself and my frinds have been playing a pc game for a while now and i wondered if theres anyway i can start a web site so that we can play it over the internet to save being at each others home thanks.

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Well, honestly, if you're trying to make something like Morrowind play over the internet, then your out of luck.

But if what you're doing is actually web-based, then yes, you can make your own websites with moderate computer skills, which is to say that if you don't know much about how a computer works, you should not attempt this...

Firstly you will need to learn HTML. Its free and takes maybe two hours to learn the basics. You can learn it via http://www.w3schools.com which I highly reccomend.

Secondly, you'll need to download a HTTP server program. Apachee is a good starter server and focuses on just the basics of a website. Xampp is made by Apachee and is much more advanced, containing MySQL abilitys, and FTP server, and a Murcery eMail server. You can google search either of these and find their free downloads.

Third you'll need a Dynamic DNS, which you can obtain, here again for free, from http://www.no-ip.com by signing up with them and downloading their DUC program. If you can't figure out how to set up your DNS once you've made your account, google search "Vicious88 afterdawn Runescape No-IP Guide" (minus the quotes). You should find yourself in a thread about making a runescape server, and if you filter through it long enough, you'll find my guide for No-IP.

Once ALL OF THAT is set up, you can begin desinging you webpage either with an HMTL editor (Word, Frontpage, Dreamweaver, ect.), or with good old trusty Notepad. You'll end up assembling an INDEX.HTML as your primary home page, then have all of you other sites branch off of it. All of these will of course need to go in to the HTDOCS folder of your HTTP Server client.

If you've made it this far, you shouldn't be having any problems at all, but if you are, you may need to reconfigure your router to forward incoming HTTP over ports 80 and 8080 directly to your PC.

Now its really up to you, you decide what content your website has. If you're looking to run anything advanced (forums for instance), you'll need to learn about CGIs and PHP, also at w3schools.com for free. If you choose to use speacile DHTML effects however, tons of information can be found at http://www.dynamicdrive.com

The key is to work towards all of this. You could make a website via yahoo's geocities or angelfire (if they're still around (???)), but its never really YOUR website and you don't have full control over it. But doing it this way, the hard way, is a guarenteed method of reaching success if you are willing to apply all your knowledge and learn what you don't currently know.

Good luck!