What do I do with .mds&.mdf files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by eric_0012, Oct 26, 2008.

1. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

I have a mds&.mdf files and have no idea how to mount the files on a DVD so that I can install it. I would rather install it directly to my hard drive so I won't need the dvd in my drive every time I want to play the game.

I have Alcohol 120% but it's new tome and I have never used it.. can someone please tell me how to mount these files and if possible directly to my hard drive, if not dvd will do
    Thanks

2. varnull

varnull Guest

With alcohol it gives you "virtual" drives.. don't use it myself so no screenshots ..sorry..

In the main window for the program you should see a virtual drive or 2 listed.. right click on one and select "mount image" then browse to the smaller file.. mdf? which is the same as the toc/cue file and will mount the image just like it is a real dvd or cd. Once mounted it should appear in the "my computer" list of drives as it's name.. volume descriptor or whatever, and you can access it in the same way you would if it was burned to a real disk. If it's a game rip tho it may not work as expected ;)

You may have the option to "mount image" now in your windows options... try right click on the cue/mdf-mds.. (sorry haven't used them in years.. the small one) file and see if that option is there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  3. onya

onya Guest

If this helps.....

[​IMG]

Then set the quantity of virtual drives......

[​IMG]

And/or as Varnull sez, right click and select mount image......

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Nope, that don't ring a bell. I musta heard differently..lol I shall give 'em a good slap for ye the next time. XP

4. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Thanks the images helped a lot but when I try to mount the mdf it says invalid format ????

5. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Sorry is says invalid image image when I try to mount mds or mdf

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Try "burning" it then.. with the output (destination) drive set to the virtual drive ;)

same error means it's corrupt or the cue file is pointing at the wrong thing.. You can open a cue file in a plain text editor :)

hehehehe.. They call me "the shizz.. whatever that means XD)

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I used to be able to write .cue files from memory. Meh.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Yuo.. same here..

Some muppet has not ripped this disk properly... the cue will have the full path.. No doubt C:\windoze\some_idiot\rips\game\data.mdf instead f it being localized to just the name of the data. (I make toc/data pairs.. life is easier for me and it gives windoze kids hell ;)

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

.mdf files don't use cue sheets.. that's what the .mds file is for.

Or were you just refering to an mds file as a cue file?

//picky

10. varnull

varnull Guest

mds/mdf.. Alcohol120% a program I have used or seen in 4 years... can't remember which is which.. as I said clearly in my first reply.. Either will mount easily under linux so I never have to look at the file extension... no worries.

If people download crap and don't know what to do with it then maybe they shouldn't be downloading s-t in the first place eh? Piracy takes some small amount of skillz... Most sites would just say RTFM and take your warez elsewhere.. bye bye Mr Banned.

Back to your mickey mouse windoze OS there Jack ;)

//professional

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Quite, I agree entirely. However, skills all of which I've mastered under my mickey mouse OS Jan ;-)

Hehe

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008