what is a newsgroup and how do i connect 2 one?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by cj2087, Mar 17, 2006.

1. cj2087

cj2087 Regular member

what is a newsgroup and how do i connect 2 one? I have been hearing about newsgroups lately... How do i use one, what is it? how do i get connected... are there any tuts anywhere?

2. X4Life

X4Life Guest

yeh u can use Xbins. search google for it and xbox-scene has a very good tut on how to use it. hope that helps

3. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Xbins is a IRC channel. IRC and newsgroups work a little differently. Basically, in order to have good access to newsgroups, you need to have a newsserver. I remember one is called "Easyserver." These require a monthly fee for a certain amount of bandwidth for your downloading purposes. For instance, they may charge you $9.99 for 10 GB or 30 days, whichever one comes first. Obviously the more money you pay, the more bandwidth you get. Next, you need a newsgroup program, like Newsshark. Some are free for downloading or trial. Newsgroups are probably one of the best ways of downloading, but as stated, you'll have to pay.

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Usenetserver.com is also a good outfit. Great retention and completion on there. They also have a "try it out" deal where you can get unlimited access for three days for only $3. If you decide to join it's like $15/month with unlimited bandwidth.