what is the best media for xbox backups? (what has worked for you guys)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Strazza, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i know this question gets asked a lot but all the threads i searched havent really given me a strait answer. i've tryed using TDK and Verbitamin dvd+r, but all i managed to do was make frisbies.

also, have you guys had more success dvd+r or dvd-r?

thanks, strazza

2. spyderbob

spyderbob Member

i use Sony DVD+R and TDK DVD+R and both have worked great for me. I used a Philips DVD-R just to see if it made any changes and it worked just fine too ... (knock on wood) i think i'll stick with the +R for the xbox and the -R for the PS2 though.

3. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

-R generally will work more often then +R. In order to make +R's more compatible with all dvd players some drive makers have the drive automatically change the booktype setting to dvdrom and if so, more than likely you'll have no problems with them playing on your xbox. If the drive doesn't automatically change the booktype and you don't change it within your burning software or with a utility, It probably won't work with +R. I've had no problems with any name brand disc including Memorex.

4. Strazza

Strazza Guest

thanks heaps guys but how do you change the booktype to dvdrom? (with nero or dvd decrypter)

sorry if this is a noob question.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  5. Strazza

Strazza Guest

ok i looked around the forums and i know how to change the booktype, the only problem i have now is (and this is gonna sound really stupid) that i dont know what kind of burner i have. is there a program that can tell you what burner you have?

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

go into my computer and right click your burner,(or any harware for that matter) and select properties. There will be a tab called 'hardware'. This should show you a list of your hardware.

You could also right click 'my computer' and select properties and then select 'hardware' then click the 'hardware manager' button. This will list damn near everything you have,that you will need to know of.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

wow i cant belive someone asked that, its cool though

8. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i had tryed that already but it said: "HL-DT-ST DVD GWA 4040N". i just that that it was a bit odd because it didnt say a brand name or anything.
    thanks and sorry for a stupid question.

9. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Its made by LG ELectronics. Guess they like to name their drives different than most. Not sure what the HL DT ST is for.

http://www.lge.com/prodmodeldetail....d=06&modelCodeDisplay=GWA-4040N&model=NOTHING

edit. If the link isn't working (isn't working for me now, dunno why), just go to lge.com and click products -> computer products -> optical storage -> super mulit dvd rewriter

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

11. Strazza

Strazza Guest

thanks guys.
    the link works fine for me BR7. im downloading the firmware now. you've all been very helpful.