What is the best way to watch PAL Region 4 DVDs in US?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by OZGOD, Jan 28, 2006.

1. OZGOD

OZGOD Member

G'day all, I apologise up front if this has been posted before - I did a search and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I've recently moved to the US from Australia and have brought along a rather sizeable collection of Region 4 DVDs which are in the PAL format. Unfortunately I was a bit stupid when I arrived and just bought an NTSC CRT TV and a basic Sony DVP-NS50P DVD player which only plays Region 1 and NTSC DVDs.

I'm now at the point where I want to buy an LCD TV here in the US, as well as a better progressive scan DVD player, and am not quite sure what I have to buy to be able to play my DVDs.

Do I need to buy a multisystem (PAL and NTSC) LCD TV as well as a codefree and multisystem DVD player? Or can I get away with buying a codefree, multisystem DVD player with an NTSC LCD TV? I noticed that getting a multisystem LCD TV adds considerably to the price and I'd rather spend for features and resolution (HDTV etc) for the LCD rather than multisystem if I don't need to.

Any assistance anyone can provide would be very much appreciated. Recomendations would help, too! I'm prepared to spend about $1000 on both the LCD and DVD player. If this is too low, please let me know.

Cheers,
    OZGOD

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  2. tlaw

tlaw Member

I live in the US and have some region 2 dvds in my collection. I purchased a Cyberhome DVD 300 player. This player is very small, compact and only cost about $39 and will play my PAl DVD's. You can read about it here, http://www.cyberhome.com/1208/products.asp?Product=300
    Another option is to free up your current player. All dvd players are capable of playing any region dvd but the manufacturers put region coding in them for a certain region. Here is a website that you can get codes from to unlock your player, I have not used it myself and there might be a fee to register and access the codes but it might save you some money.

3. tlaw

tlaw Member

4. OZGOD

OZGOD Member

Thanks mate. I checked out that site and unfortunately I think my DVD player is too primitive to make the list! I've been shopping around for a decent multi system region free DVD player and will check out your suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to respond, even after two weeks!