what is the resolution of mini-dv camcorders?...

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by pepelpue, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pepelpue

pepelpue Guest

HI:

I am trying to find out what is the resolution of mini-dv camcorders. I know it all depends on the ccd's size and number of elements(pixels), but I keep seeing 340x280 and other odd low resolutions. this is for canon optura 60, some of the new sony camcorders and jvc's. I dont understand, shouldn't it be higher than that. that is the resolution of vhs tap.
    I thought that resolution would be in 720P or close to that. Can any body let me know if i am correct or am I looking at this all wrong. I lke to thank you for any help.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

All miniDV camcorders have a resolution 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).

3. karavolas

karavolas Member

I agree.

It happens to me too. But most probably it has to do with the DV codec you are using. But you are OK since it's a mini DV tape.

4. pepelpue

pepelpue Guest

thanks, but I am still confused. why would they say:

canon:

Consumer Products Home :: Camcorders :: Optura 60 :: Specifications
    Still image: 1632 x 1224, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 pixels
    Movie: 320 x 240, 160 x 120 pixels, 15 frames/sec
    Image Format:
    Still image: JPEG (compression: Super Fine, Fine, Normal)
    Movie: Video data: Motion JPEG, audio data: WAVE (monaural)

The same goes for sony and panasonics too: panasonic PV-GS250,Sony DCR-HC90 MiniDV Handycam® Camcorder.

I appreciate your feedback. thank you

5. blue1

blue1 Guest

All miniDV camcorders have a resolution 720x576

I agree

6. ellington

ellington Member

Those figures are for images and movies recorded on the media card not the tape. Hence the reference to motion jpeg.

ellington

7. pepelpue

pepelpue Guest

thank you.

But, what format do they write them on the dv tape. is it raw or some other format. and what do they mean by saying this camera has 540 line resolution with 1.3mp 1/4" ccd, or some have 520 or so lines. thank you.

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

All miniDV camcorders record DV compressed video.
    The numbers you state have nothing to do with the resolution of the image, but the characteristics of the CCD which is the array of light sensitive sensors that change the incoming light into small electrical currents.
    There are two features that are important:
    1. The number of pixels, typically between 700 and 1300 k pixels. The more pixels the better (but again, it has nothing to do with the resolution: there are always more pixels on the CCD than the number of pixels as the image is stored in; the values of surrounding pixels are interpolated to calculate the best value of the image pixel)
    2. The size of the CCD. The larger the bigger. Typical values are 1/6-1/4"

Lats but not least there are now also camcorders with 3 CCD's, one for each primary color. They typically have 1.3 - 2 M pixels. They are usually better but are also a bit more susceptible for low light conditions.

9. pepelpue

pepelpue Guest

thank you. so in your openion, canon optura 60 and sony dcr-hc90 should be the same quality except for the sitations with low light (sony appearently give less artaffects in pictures). They both have 1.3mp ccd that is 1/3", am I right in thinking that? I want to thank everybody for your responses. you mean lot of help as oppose to the tech supports at sony and canon,lol.

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, I don't comment on camera's that I don't have experience with myself and there is a lot more to consider when buying a camcorder. A very valuable source of information is http://www.camcorderinfo.com
    They have reviews of almost every camcorder you can think of. I recommend you to compare the models over there.