WHAT SPEED INTERNET????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Balla420, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Balla420

Balla420 Member

Hey, Just curious as how much of a difference the MBPS makes? Am looking at signing up for new internet service.

I have heavy data usage, download/upload many big files up t0 8GB sometime (movies) whatch lot of streaming video, music files, sometimes online gaming.

problem is, unless i get a comcast bundle, 12mbps connnect is like 55/month. But am gettting directv so no lame a$$ comcast bundle. and the next lowest speed they offer is 1.5mbps...WTF. They can't even offer something in between that??

So I'm guessing with my data usage, that a 1.5mbps would not be very good???? i don't really know? Only my one computer will be on this connection.

with a 1.5mbps vs. 12mbps, what are the highest download speeds (in kb/s) i could expect?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

12mbps is slow for a downstream (but very good if it is your upstream)...1.5mbps is slower than my cell phone's 3G connection. Yes, you need more than 1.5, and you might want to keep comcast just for internet.

1.5mbps is less than 190KBPS...12mbps = 1.5MBPS

8mbps = 1MBPS
    8kbps = 1KBPS

The capitalization is the important thing here...lowercase is "bits per second" and uppercase is "bytes per second" and there are 8 bits in a byte. Most everything you see in windows is displayed in bytes, hard drives and flash media is as well...only network related stuff is frequently sold in bits rather than bytes.

Hope that helps.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

my connection is suppose to be up to 20MBPS but im lucky to get 7MBPS.I pay $AU60 per month.