What Type of Discs should i use to backup my games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by pzyk1k, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pzyk1k

pzyk1k Member

ok i have 2 xboxs. one has a phillips drive and the other has a thompson drive. i have been playing on my thompson drive with my backsups till now. someguy offered to buy my thompson modded Xbox so all left is the Phillips now. so my question is brand of media should i use for this. All i have is Memorex which worked fine on my thompson but not on my phillips. what should i use

2. Noamos

Noamos Regular member

First of all memorex is crap, use taiyo yuden, verbatim or sony if you want your drive to last. For phillips drive read only dvd-r's .

3. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

its depends on 3 things
    1/ your pc burner and bitsetting (firmware)
    2/ your xbox dvd drive
    3/ your disc brand and type (plus or minus R)

I have been modding for about 3 and half years (xbox's), and over 300 mods later
    Ive found (afte a LOT of trial and error) the best ALL ROUND discs were sony oem 4x dvd+r burned with a pioneer 106 (standard firmware) at 4x
    played on all xbox dvd drives

but I have had success with Ritek go5 on all xbox drives too (burned with a NEC 3520 and hacked bitsetting firmware)
    a good rule of thumb is (not totally accurate but a good guide) if you have a samsung, most DVD-R will work burned on most PC DVD burners, yet only a few DVD+R
    if you have a thomson, a lot of dvd-r and quite a few +r (but the drive is crap)
    philips work best with +r, but the sony dvd-r I mentioned, worked just fine.

Sometimes its trial and error
    its completely wrong btw to say philips only read dvd-r
    its actually the opposite (as a standard rule, though again not completely accurate)
    philips are actually best reading dvd+r (as a given standard)
    but it does depend on your PC burner, bitsetting, firmware etc

I use a pioneer 111 along with a NEC 3540, burned on the nec (hacked firmware, ie bitsetting and RPC removed) I can burn a few brands of DVD+R that work on all drives, and nearly every DVD-R will read on the sammy (still the best drive, by far)
    the thomspon, well it depends on the actual thomson, they all tend to read differently, its a quality issue with the drive.
    I can burn sony dvd+r on either drive and they play perfect in the philips, but only play in the sammy if I burn with the NEC burner

oh its a lot of fun:)

4. pzyk1k

pzyk1k Member

Hey Thanks alot i got some Verbatim +/- and it worked perfectly thank you.

5. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

best disks on the market if bought on sale.

I clean out office max everytime they go on sale 14.99 for 50!!!