What's a good soldering iron for less than $40?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Hack_Zero, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Hack_Zero

Hack_Zero Regular member

I'm looking for a soldering iron that will work well with very small pins and wires. The previous iron i bought hardly got hot enough to melt the solder, it was a complete waist of money.

I'm having issues deciding, there's such a wide variety of irons and voltages/heat/ect. I don't have any experience in this field either, so i figured it'd be best to ask at a site that has a wide userbase of console modders.

Thanks for any help :]

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

A good one is one that works. :wink:

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i prefer using weller soldering stations but cost more then $40.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Wow! The Weller name brings back a flood of memories. I have one that is about 12 years old, but the memory is of my brother and I, using a Weller to solder wires on a Heath-Kit 20 watt stereo amplifier, when we were building it, some 45 years ago. (I was a teenager, at the time.)

Good God, time flies.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

what are you wanting to solder? the weller soldering guns are good for a variety of soldering jobs.however,if you are soldering pc boards you would be better off with a soldering iron with a fine tip.these you plug in and when they reach operating temp.you unplug them.these are the most reasonable price wise.keep in mind the difference between a soldering gun and a soldering iron.

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I'm with ddp on that one, if you are doing very delicate soldering, get a good fine tip soldering iron. Don't settle for a cheap one when a bad one will ruin an expensive component. Radio Shack used to be a good place for them, but haven't been in one in a while.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

aldan, the weller solder stations use irons not guns. also you don't unplug them when they get to their temp as they are always plugged in to the station. i've worked on computer circuit boards for sun microsystems & cisco systems & cell phones board for nokia, both surface mounted & thru hole components using soldering stations.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

been a long time since ive used a soldering iron.probably just as well too.lol