What's the end result of softmodding?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tankpower, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

Sorry to be so noobish, but I'm having trouble figuring out the ultimate result of softmodding an Xbox. I've read several tutorials and (ironically) I think I can do it, but what happens then?

So, basically you just use:
    -xbox, pc
    -software
    -one of 3 specific games
    -Action Replay etc

And when you're done, your Xbox always boots up with the new Dash/Bios/whatever? Like, it will always play any burned game upon startup each time? Or is it restrictive? Meaning that only some games work, or you have to go to a lot of trouble each time you play a game.

It almost sounds too easy.

2. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

Also, will softmodding allow me to run emulators/roms, as modchips will? If so, I can figure out how to do it, but is it even possible?

And speaking of which, I wonder how well an Xbox can run n64 games like Zelda OOT. It's choppy as crap on my pc (an old, slow pc). Those of you with n64 roms, how well do they run?

3. zeno60

zeno60 Member

My friend has soft-modded his xbox, I had a Xenium ICE installed, so far he has been able to do everything I have done short of installing a new larger Hard drive.

Soft modding is just modding your xbox without the use of a chip. You basically have the same results as you would with using a chip. You can install EVOX which is the dashboard allowing you to play games from the Hard Drive, DVD rom, or play emulators.

As far as emulators go, there are N64 emulators, but your going to have a hard time finding games. I really only use my modded xbox to play Sega Genesis and SNES emulators, and they work fine. They use the same roms you would use on your PC.

4. philipman

philipman Regular member

They have alot of n-64 games on bearshare, thats were I get them.

5. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

Yeah, I've since softmodded my xbox successfully. Evo-x, media center, snes and genesis roms all going fine.

About those n64 roms-- I have some already but I'd have to make an extra trip to retrieve them. Is is worth it as far as emulation quality?

Like, if I load Mario 64 or Zelda or Goldeneye, will they run like a 64 should or be unstable and choppy? On my other pc Zelda is nearly unplayable, but that computer is mucked up. (I'd be using Surreal 64, btw)