Where to start with universal remote

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dandiezal, Oct 19, 2006.

1. dandiezal

dandiezal Member

I have a universal remote control, in fact like 3 of them, and I have no idea how to program them to my video components (tv, divx player..). Anybody know what to do to get them to work?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

If you're talking about those $15 3inOne or 4inOne type remotes, I have no idea, if the paperwork doesn't tell you.
    I have a Logitech Harmony Remote, that I programmed with the computer, on Logitech's web site. You type in model numbers of your equipment, and download the info, to the remote. They work great!

I push a button labelled "Watch Movie", and the remote turns on my tv, and puts in on the right input (Video 1). It turns on my dvd player, and it turns on my A/V receiver, and puts it in dvd mode. Same thing with my digital cable, when I push "Watch TV" button. Also turns everything off, with the push of one button. I like this remote a lot.

Amazon.com has the Harmony 880 at a good price. It normally sells for around $250. It's their top of the line. They are a little expensive, but amazing remotes. Very wife friendly too! You may can find one cheaper on eBay. I have the model 628, I got at Sam's Club for about $80. Last time I saw them there, they had dropped to $46. They had another model too, for $99. Wal Mart has the model 520. Don't know the price. Can't go wrong with the Harmony remotes.
    Good luck!