Which degreeto get- business with an emphasis in marketing or communications with a marketing minor?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wheelstb, Nov 7, 2009.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

am currently majoring in business with the emphasis on marketing but I have to take three math courses: college algebra, basic statistics and basic calculus. I am awful at math and am having trouble even getting through college algebra. So it was suggested to me that I could major in communications with a minor in marketing.

I do enjoy my business courses and I think I would enjoy communications courses (maybe just slightly less).

But I do want to go into the marketing field and I'm just worried that because my degree would be a communications that it would be seen as useless or flimsy in the business world.

Any advice would be great.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

how far along are you with your degree? I am guessing that if you are just taking algebra this semester, that you are just starting or in your first year. i did college for almost a decade and got three degrees out of it, so i know the system pretty well. my suggestion to you would be that if you enjoy your current major, and believe that the major you have chosen would be the best one to get a job in the field you want, then stick with it. math isn't that bad. i loved algebra for some reason (except for matrixes...those suck) and calculus wasn't that bad, you just have to get used to everything being theoretical...not many real numbers. but i hated, hated, HATED statistics! took me three tries to finally pass. don't give up on the degree you need just because three math classes stand in your way.

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

good advice.
    Thanks