which format best for USB Dvd player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by office13, Dec 10, 2009.

1. office13

office13 Member

i am looking at getting a Dvd player "Coby DVD298" and planning on hooking up my USB HD to play movies i have backed up from DVD. Rather than having all the DVDs laying around i would like to just have the USB HD. so here i have all the video files on the HD in their own folder. they are either ISO or in a video TS folder, depending on how i backed them up. so here is what i know so far.

My USB HD is externally powered.
    it will be approx 250 GB but i have others ranging from 20G-1T which i coudl also use.
    it will have to be converted to Fat32.
    now here i have heard some mixed reviews as to the maximum size that a partition can be. so what is the Max size of a Fat32.

here is my other question.
    i suspect that i will have to convert my files to some other format, other than ISO, or VOB. so given that i have a 42inch TV. it is not 1080 and less than 720, so quality is not maximized. i have numerous programs for converting, but which one is best, or does it come as personal preference. personally i would prefer the one that gives the least amount of errors, is easiest/fastest to do and compresses the best.
    any help with which format i want woudl be appreciated.

thanks
    ian
    now instead of burning them all

2. jrb19

jrb19 Member

I use a usb hd to store movies to watch on ps3 and i convert them to avi i think it is good quality and doesnt take long to convert.
    Im not sure about the size tho

I hope it helps

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I use a usb stick in my dvd player and all my movies are in divx.Not sure how good the quality is but all mine seem to work fine.might notice a different on a 42 inch high definition tv i've been using an old 51cm tv.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@office13

There is no dilemma about the format you need to convert to- Avi(divx/xvid), that's the only one supported by your player for USB playbak. For that, I would use Autogk , free, or FairUse Wizard, free as well(you can use the ISOs to do the conversion with FairUse)

As for the quality/size, that you have to decide on your own, but if you go at or above 1GB per avi, you can't go wrong.