Will These Pioneer DVD Players play DVD DL backups?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Whisperer, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

I have two JVC DVD Players which have identical electronics & optics but one is a single disk player and one is a 7-disk changer version of same:
    the XV-SA600BK (AKA the XV-SA602SL in silver color) single disk
    the XV-FA900BK (AKA the XV-FA902SL in silver color) 7-disk

My question is: has anyone tried playing a DVD+R DL backup disk in these players?

Does it play them ok? With or without booktyping??

Has anyone or any beta testers gotten their hands on the new DVD-R DL disks yet?

FYI: I burn with and trust the Pioneer DVD Writers and have used the AO5, the AO9, and currently the new DVR-110D.

I want to know because I never compress and I'm gonna stop splitting my backups over two disks and start backing-up to dual-layer blanks as soon as the price drops to $1.00 per blank.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...Search&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...Search&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

According to the info at the above two links, nobody has tried DL in either of your JVC models .. yet .. (At least the answer isn't a positive no)

As far as the booktyping (bitsetting) ...
     ... it sounds like you don't have any choice in that matter

I'd suggest picking up one disc and trying it out ...

Let us know the results

BTW .. My Philips DVP642 WILL play DVD+DL discs and it's only about $60

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  3. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

Thanks catfreak. I had visited that site and also read that nobody had tried +R DL with my players. I posted here hoping someone might own the same equiptment as me and had tried.

And thanks for the quote on the 110 too, I missed that one. But the quote seems contradictory:

"the DVR-110D does not support the Bitsetting feature for DVD+R/+RW"
    VS
    "it supports the automatic change of DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM"

Does it say that single layer disks are unchangable but only dual layer disks can be finalized as a DVD-ROM with a 110?? If so, why in heaven's name, not both?

If I AM interpreting the quote correctly, I wonder if Pioneer will provide a future firmware upgrade to handle booktyping of single layer blanks. It would seem that they are 90% there by making it possible on DL blanks.

...or maybe there is a hacked firmware available to do the SL job??

BTW have you or anyone found or tried DL -R blanks?

Thanks again
    Whisperer

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I know that there is hacked firmware available to booktype +R/RW discs with a Pioneer .. Apparently Pioneer doesn't feel the need to booktype anything other than +R DL discs {???}

No, I haven't tried the -R DL discs and I probably won't unless someone gives me some .. That's the only reason that I've used -R discs ... I prefer booktyping the +r discs .. I tried some +R DL discs in my BenQ DW1640 and it loved them (Verbatim, of course) but I won't buy anymore 'til the price drops ...

5. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

me too on the price drop. The pattern seems to be that the junk manufacturers are first to come out with a new type of blank at a reasonable price. Then the quality manufacturers follow suit when they see a dent in their customer base profits. Capitalism ... ya gotta love it!

6. JVC

JVC Active member

If your JVC's play store bought movies, they should play DL movies booktyped to DVD-Rom. Every store bought movie I've run DVD Identifier on, showed up as DVD Roms. And most store bought movies are DL too.
    Good luck!

:eek:)