Will this work (network related)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Wiired, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Wiired

Wiired Member

If you have an Internet provider assigned static IP address and the range has other IP addresses not being used.

Can you change your broadband router to use another free IP address instead? Or is their a way to add another router in so your eventual IP address displayed is not the one assigned by your Internet Provider?

I understand about private LAN IP addresses I'm meaning before this.

2. Dman125

Dman125 Member

... what are you trying to do? Trick your ISP and get free internet? They are tracking the MAC address of your modems, thats how they know where you are, and what IP is assigned to you, adding routers on the other side of your modem wont change a thing cause your modems MAC address is still te same. You can try getting a new modem... but it wont work untill you register the MAC address with your ISP. If you just want a different IP address, then call them up and ask for one.

3. Wiired

Wiired Member

No I'm not trying to get free internet. I'm wanting to know if its possible to do what I described. I'm aware about MAC addresses. I want to know if there is an spare unassigned (non private) IP in my Internet providers pool is it at all possible to use that IP address?

e.g.
    100.10.0.1 Internet providers router
    100.10.0.53 My broadband router
    100.10.0.57 My 2nd router using an unassigned IP (taken from ISPs scope)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this possible?
    10.0.0.2 My PC

4. Dman125

Dman125 Member

As long as your routers are plugged after your Modem, you can assign any IP address to them that you like. Your ISP can not see your routers IP address, only your Modem.
    If your talking about adding more Modems not routers, then you would have to look at your service agreement. Most Static Plans come with either 1, 5, or 10 static address (depending on your plan you bought into). If you have a 5 Static IP plan, then its just a matter of calling up your ISP and finding out what is availible.

5. Wiired

Wiired Member

I don't have a modem. I'm talking about adding an extra hop essentially past the broadband router. Is it possible to create one if there is a static IP assigned by my Internet provider. Using an unassigned IP address?