winsock provider catalog-related internet connection problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by davexq, Aug 9, 2007.

1. davexq

davexq Member

Hi
    I just installed Norton Internet Security 2007, and when I try to access the internet, it says page cannot be displayed. The network adapter lists itself as connected, but I can't access the internet. I can access the internet wirelessly through the same modem from other computers just fine, but I just can't access the internet from that computer. The network diagnostic says that its a winsock provider catalog problem. I reset it several times, but I still can't access the internet.

if anybody could help, it would be greatly apreciated.
    I have the winsock catalog and the diagnosis if you need it.

Thx.

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

3. davexq

davexq Member

thx 4 replying

no, I tried that already, it still doesn't work. I already tried resetting the catalog and the tcpip, but it still doesn't work. Maybe the antivirus quarantined some important files. Is there any other way?

-dave

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disable the norton firewall. had that on a customer's computer that couldn't get onto net til i uninstalled norton security that took out it's firewall.

5. davexq

davexq Member

Ya,I tried that right after I noticed the internet connection failure. but I believe that this is a winsock catalog related problem. I've reset this catalog several times, but it still has base service providers missing. I think this is because of some of the quarantined files on Norton. I just don't know which ones to restore.

Thanks for replying

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok I am thinking about this. You mention you cant go anywhere on the net. Just get the cant display page error. Can you even get to your router on that system?

I have a thought but is a long shot. go Here C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc open the file 'hosts' in notepad. at the bottom after all the lines with a # at the begining there should only be one line that says "127.0.0.1 localhost" If anything else is listed delete it all except the one mentioned. Now try to browse.

I have seen viruses alter this file but have not encountered spyware or adware doing it.

-Del

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how about a system restore?

8. davexq

davexq Member

No, I couldn't even get to my router. I think winsock affects all network adapters, wired or wireless. I opened C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, but every thing seemed normal.
    I have the winsock catalog and the network diagnosis if you need it.
    I'm probably going to try and uninstall Norton Internet Security.

Somehow, system restores don't work on my computer. It always says system restore incomplete, nothing is changed.

-dave