Wireless Card: "Code 10" - Card stopped working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by vercettti, Aug 25, 2009.

1. vercettti

vercettti Member

hey guys!

i've got a wireless pci card in my vista pc (TP-Link TL-WN651G) and it's been running for half a year now. when i installed it back then it worked without installing a driver.

yesterday i booted and did not have my wireless connection anymore. no more symbol in network-connections either. device manager shows the entry with the yellow exlamation point. right click on the device and properties gives me "this device cannot start, Code 10". so i installed and deinstalled different drivers (from the manufacturer's site) all leading to the same result "this device cannot start, Code 10".

to exclude any hardware problems i install linux off a live-cd. the computer boots up and what happens? i'm online!

so i guess neither the mainboard nor the wifi card are defect.

i reinstall vista thinking that it's faster than searching for solutions in the net. and i'm pretty sure that's it's some kind of vista problem (software, drivers, irq, whatever) that would be fixed after a reinstallation.

vista boots up freshly installed and what do i see? the yellow exclamation point next to the entry in the device manager! installing/deinstalling various drivers won't fix this either. neither will service pack 2.

i inserst the linux live-cd once again just to double check and after it's finished and boots up i'm online again.

what the hell is going on???
    please help!

thanx a lot,
    vercetti.

2. vercettti

vercettti Member

i forgot to mention:

- before i reinstalled vista the system restore function did not help either
    - i installed the wifi card into the other pci slot but also here: no difference
    - i did not install any new hard- or software before this problem started

thx,
    vercetti.

3. jodav

jodav Regular member

Your BIOS settings are common to both your fresh install and old install, so possibly try resetting your BIOS defaults.