wireless setup question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by angel_o_d, Jan 11, 2010.

1. angel_o_d

angel_o_d Member

okay so i have my xbox, xbox 360, and and a desktop upstairs in my room, and the wifi router and family computers are downstairs. i know how to connect to the wireless on my xbox 360 and computer, but there's really no easy way to do it with the original xbox from what i've read.

SOOOO my question is:
    a)if i have a wireless router connected to my cable modem, is there a way to set up a seperate wired network that uses a wireless router in my house that connects to the first router via wifi?
    b)upon doing a little research, i think maybe can i buy a wireless access point then connect that to the modem, set up the wifi router in my room, and another one where the computers downstairs are and use the wifi routers to access the access point? if that makes any sense lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I think somewhere in this setup your going to need to Bridge the gap between a LAN and wireless device. As far as I know you can't buy routers that connect wirelessly to the WAN (or in this case wirelessly to another router).

Some products that come to mind that could be used are either a wireless bridge or a product I read about that uses a power outlet to network computers.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

4. angel_o_d

angel_o_d Member

@nownthen:
    yeah i took your advice and looked into the wireless bridge... looks pretty good, like it would be worth an investment... definitely gonna be my plan B (i like to take the challenging options lol)
    i'm not really into the idea of power supply networking though for some reason lol
    @creaky:
    thanks for the links!!! they pretty much answered all the questions i had!!! the first one led me (however indirectly lol) to a great tutorial on how to set up a wired/wireless-->wired network (my words)
    here's the link to the tut for anyone who wants to know:
    link!!!

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No problem, keep us posted