XBOX Harddrive installation help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Lainai, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Lainai

Lainai Member

This is not your average problem. I wouldn't be here if I thought I could do this on my own. So I recently acquired a broken XBOX from a friend of mine in payment for some work I did for him as a favor. He was the one who broke it (smashing it and jumping up and down on it does that) well surprisingly he only damaged the DVD-ROM drive. The HDD worked and had been previously softmodded to have UnleashX on it by me. So I was like, hey I'll download emulators, games, movies and stuff and just play em off the HDD. And for a while this was fine. Till one day I decided, I like XBMC more.

I was copying the "default.xbe" file for it to the dashboard folder, and it was the only file in that folder at the time. The rest was in the C partition, now I accidentally clicked default.xbe and it tried to start XBMC. But without any other files but XBMC it quickly crashed. I restarted it and I got the same error message over and over about a network cable. Now, I'd also been wanting to install a bigger HDD to hold more games. So I had acquired a little 10GB HDD just so I could play around with the whole add a bigger HDD drive. And I figured now would be a great time to figure it out. I would like to know first if I could mount the XBOX HDD and explore the files and then just fix it, or if thats not possible somehow install a bigger HDD.... without a DVD-ROM drive....

Sorry for wall of text.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If you have an eeprom reader, you can do what ever you want!

You can hotswap and probably a few other ways too!

My tutorials should guide you through the different processes

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, you have to hotswap out the old drive and then use your PC to build a new one. But as above this is only if you already (which everyone should) have a back up of your EEPROM file on your PC.

If not you have to build an EEPROM reader as chunkhead mentioned.
    Or of course you could just install a mod chip and then swapping out the hard drive is simple, take one out and slap a new one in. Then use an auto installer like Slayer to format and install programs.
    But in order to do all that you need a working DVD drive.

If you want my personal opinion you should just fix the whole thing up now while you opening it.
    Get a new DVD drive and install it, get a modchip (solderless if you like) and install that as well. Then install the new hard drive which i would say should be no less then 160GB in size.

4. Lainai

Lainai Member

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try it today.

steimy: Thanks for the advice, but I'm trying to make this cheap as possible, I looked at new DVD-ROM drives cause I knew that would be the simpler route, but I'm poor and a good modchip solderless or not is still above $20 which is a high price range for me, the whole deal is the XBOX was smashed up and broken I'm just reviving it into a zombie.