Xvid issues on standalone dvd player (LG LDA-530)

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by poptate, Jan 27, 2006.

1. poptate

poptate Member

Sorry to bother you all, but I'm having issues with my standalone dvd player and after reading up on it and trying stuff out on my own (this site has been extremely helpful), I still haven't figured out what's wrong and so thought you could help. I considered posting this in the newb forum, but after reading a bunch of stuff I figure I'm not a complete idiot any more :p Anyways, a week ago I bought an LG LDA-530 standalone DVD player that is DivX and Xvid compliant after seeing several positive reviews for it on the net. I get it home, burn a disc of Xvids, and pop it in. What I get is video, but no audio. Now, I've gone through my own trouble shooting and I'll list it here just in case I have done anything wrong along the way:

1. Figured it might just be my audio connections or a problem with my receiver or dvd player, but the dvd player does audio just fine with other discs.
    2. Thought there was a chance it was a problem with my burner, so I used a different comp and burner to burn the next disc and had the same problem. Also, discs burned on my original burner work fine for audio on dvds as long as they're not DivX or Xvid. (Note: I'm burning slowly and have tried both Verbatim and Maxell DVD-R discs, so that shouldn't be an issue.)
    3. Thought maybe it was just those specific files, so I tried burning a few other discs with different files and got the same result of video, but no audio.
    4. I've narrowed it down to being a problem with the Xvid and DivX files themselves, so I started checking in to compatability issues. I downloaded GSpot and checked the files and I am ok for being under the limits for resolution and framerate. That leaves me with two options.
    5. Option 1 is that the files are not interleaved like they need to be in order to play on my player. I know GSpot displays this info, but I'm not entirely sure what the numbers in that blank mean. Here's two examples of lines it gives me for these files:
    Xvid 1: 1 vid frame (33 ms) Split: Yes
    Xvid 2: 1 vid frame (42 ms), p=480 Split: No
    I'm a little hazy on the whole interleaved issue and what it means, but I thought as long as it was it was done every video frame, there shouldn't be any playback issues. Also, if the audio for a DivX or Xvid is mp3, does that mean someone has already compressed it and therefore interleaved it? Can someone explain what the data given in GSpot for I/L means exactly anyway?
    6. Option 2 is that my player might be a GSS based one (doesn't say in the manual and haven't been able to find out online yet) and therefore have issues with the file using qpel or a GMC higher than 1 point. However, I'm not sure how to check the files to see if they are either of these. Can anyone help me out with that?

Well, that's where I am at currently and I would appreciate some help to figure out the rest. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I figure it's better than me posting "cant get xvid to play on my dvdplayer, sum1 tell me how pleez" :p

2. poptate

poptate Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention something that might help. When I play a DivX/Xvid dvd in my player, if I check the audio streams it says:
    1 MP3
    2/0 Ch
    I assume that means there is one audio stream available, which is an MP3 that is 2 channel, but that zero in there makes me wonder. Anyway, I don't know if that is important or helps, but I thought I would post it. Thanks again for any help.