1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@nailedny - bless :)

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- Of course we believe you! Were'nt you the original child bride? LOL! And congrats to you & hubby on the 30 years ! Ours should really be 10 years because we've known each other that long! It semms like 10 anyways ! And all that from a BLIND DATE ! & also sounds like you did pretty good on the last dive too! Neodave Got some smurfy colored ones according to his last post ! When I find them it's Black . BOOGER GREEN or Opaque white/clear . Long as they are in good shape the color does'nt really matter for me although I do like the green ones . Ocassionaly I find a double case or two and I like that idea some are the kind with the flap that holds the 2cnd dvd and the last time I scored a few that have no flap but a dvd snaps into each side just like on the single cases. Not having heard from you in a while we thought Hollywood Had beconned ! LOL! but we's glad you back ! Creaky ! O' friend of few words glad to see your still with us too! keep it up! well everyone @- Happy Hunting.Safe Diving, Happy Burning ! & "FREE IS FREE" ! CIAO!!!!

3. dekehead

dekehead Member

I guess this has become the official "dumpster diving" thread... Can we get any other suggestions? Anyone utilize albums?

4. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

I used to use albums for my DVD's but I found that while it does make them easier to store in some cases (excuse the pun), for the most part the albums tend to scratch the DVD over time due to the cloth/fiber inlay the majority of albums have to "protect" the DVD or CD you have inside.

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

SolShrike- Good Point there! I have found that from practical experience ! That CDR's are not as scratch prone as DVD media so the binder route is sometimes a good idea if you are doing those ! especially in quantity ! But I agree with you on the DVD's being better stored in cases no pun intended like you previously said! Besides having a place to put artwork - Inserts & covers ! putting your dvd projects in DVd cases gives one a good reason to dumpster dive! Besides it being fun I mean ! " Free Is FREE" it saves you money ! To quote a former Furniture store owner from new orleans! and it gives us something to talk about & post here! SolShrike ! thanx for your help & posting ! Will try to Go BB today & will update everyone on the outcome Good ,bad or indifferent! Happy Hunting ,Safe Diving ,Happy Burning ! Peace ! (CIAO!)

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Made the BB run today ! All dumpsters empty ! Big Bummer ! can't strike gold evrytime though. Better luck next time maybe ! Peace OUT!

7. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

As its been said for years Toxy, if at first you dont succeed... try and try again :) Go for the gold, the free case, the one and only Mighty Dive! :)

As Toxy always says, Free is Free! Ciao!

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

SolShrike- Thanx Buddy ( Does weird Paulie Shore weasel sound effect & hand gesture) Not giving up yet ! They still have'nt moved the dumpster back into the retaining wall ( Dumpster solitary confinement) SO I guess they must want the cases rescued from landfill obscurity ?! Saving the enviorment and all! Recycle it's the american way! And for our friend NailedNy if you hubby of 30 years regrets your daring feats of dumpster diving show him how much money you saved him by buying them retail LOL! No ! just take that money & buy some sensible shoes LOL! Anyway to everyone - HappY HUNTING -SAFE DIVING - peace & Happy BURNING - "FREE IS FREE " CIAO!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  9. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Big, I haven't been out in a week. Running out of places to hide these cases from my husband. My best friend checked out a dumpster of mine last night and it was empty. (I thought I saw a truck parked there earlier yesterday) My best dumpster I might check out today, it's going to be nice out. Maybe it's something about freezing cold and jumping in that bothers me. I might hibernate for the winter. But,I will still read the posts and throw in my 2 cents. Glad to see everyone else still getting cases. Good Luck and Happy Diving!!!

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- Hibernate ? does that mean you will be evil & grouchy when you emerge sleek and slender from you den?( No eating while hibernating) Hope not ! You would want to develope a TUDE!!!! might scare hollywood away!!! LOL! anyway glad your atleast going to put your .02cents in from time to time ! As one of the Few female afterdawners & the only one that post on this thread your already a celebrity of sorts ! Besides we need to keep you and your boathook around to knock some sense into people sometimes! Good luck on the dive and the hibernating thing I can't see doing dumpsters in the snow so you may have a point ! Might try a dumpster run today myself ! if I feel up to it will update y'all if I do cases or not ! Good luck nailedny , Solshrike, jvc , Neodave , & everyone else ! Safe Diving , Happy Hunting , Happy Burning -Peace !"FREE IS FREE " Ciao!

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

corected bad double post sorry again please foorgive!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I Double posted real bad sorry friends!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Greetings & Salmutations

11/15/2005 dropped wifey at Dr.'S office and continued on to BB# 1 found about 20 cases mostly the standard Black but also got a couple of the Green ones (Likes the green ones)! and a Translucent blue one that was a little grimey but cleaned up nice! The blue one was also a double so Bully for me! found a white one or two also. On to BB # 2 where I found about 10 more one was broke so I ended up with about 29-30 not a massive find but "FREE IS FREE" & besides I can always check back on another day ! BB # 1 still has'nt moved the dumpster back into it's BATCAVE! = cinderblock enclosure ! so fair game in my book ! BB#2 's Dumpster is out in open so I go in buy a soda & some candy Then I stop & drink the DR.pepper by the dumpster while casually checking the contents ! If I see cases in the bags it's T.J. HOOKER time ! I retrieve the bags liberate the cases and retrash the trash ! Still thinking about making a giant size plunger gadget ie: small plunger cup + broomstick or pvc pipe for those cases that end up on the bottom of the dumpster have'nt done it yet but still thinking ! Hope all the little DUMPSTERKATEERS ! are doing well and finding lots ! Happy Hunting !,Happy Holidays!, Safe Diving!, Happy Burning ! & "FREE IS FREE " Peace -CIAO!!!! Y'all!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

looks like AD is on go slow again, it's been this bad for a couple days now.. :)

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

creaky- I hear you seems like it's kind of cyclic ! like finding ooodles of dvd cases on a regular basis and then just as quickly the quantity you find drops to almost none ! Everbody post here right and left and then another slow spell ! As longas there are free cases I'll dive & post and even be slightly amusing sometimes if humanly possible ! nice to hear from you creaky ! don't give up the ship! LOL! Happy HOLIDAYS -Peace!

16. pacpicchu

pacpicchu Member

I GOTTA TRY THE BlockBuster SAR operation (search and rescue), that's pure genius. Reduce, re-use and recycle all the way! That's great I'm planning on dropping by a couple of locales on the way home from work today.

Earlier this summer I bought 10 pack of doubles and some with capacity for 4 discs and was quite happy with the price from the online e-tailer so I can vouch for the online e-tailer guys having much better prices than B&M stores. Speedy 2-3 business days delivery to my local post office, read pharmacy around the corner. When I opened the box the smell was horrible however as the plastic or the glue is probably boiled cow hoof or sumthin so I aired them out a couple of days and the smell is completely gone.

I'm also looking for a very specific cd case/wallet that I bought from a discount computer store a few years back. It's been in my car holding cds ever since but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere since. It's a hard cover case with hard pages hinged inside and not the fabric pocket sleeves that can scratch. Picture this, each page is like the bottom of a regular jewel case complete with the knob/holder in the middle capable of holding one disc per side, and the whole thing is made of some dull plastic recycled material like a black toolbox but not as hard. I tried to find this item online as I would like to buy more of them and friends have commented on how good the design is. I will try to post pics and linky to what I'm talking about when I get a chance.

This site rocks and the forums kick ax.

17. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

pacpicchu- I see we have infected another victim with dumpster-itis ! LOL! But once you start it's kinda habit forming Like peanuts or something! I also know what you mean about finding a product you like and then not being able to get more when you want to. I found some DVD/CD cases at a local dollar tree store! This was P.D.D = pre dumpster diving days and they were nice they hold 2 disc one on each side come in several colors and were fairly sturdy each side of theese cases open in the opposite direction so when both are open they look like a N ormaybe a Z depending on their position . They come two cases to a pack for $1.00 & tax a little high I looked on the internet but could'nt find anything like them ! when closed they are about as thick as a slimline Verbatim DVD case -7mm or so! eventually I went to the verbatim slim cases and then to BB dumpster Retrivals "FREE IS FREE " after all ! and besides it keeps me off the streets ! except the ones that have BB's On them LOL! pacpicchu Good luck welcome to the club ! Dive safe , GOOD HUNTING !, HAPPY BURNING ,& HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!! CIAO!!!!

18. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

Ive said it before and I'll say it again...

"Gawd you crack me up Toxy" LOL :)

Went to the local BB's dumpster... only 5 cases (all black), but hey its 5 more than I had before! Nice thing was, they were sitting right on top. Woot!

19. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

SolShrike- Isn't it great to have a positive attitude ? Dumpster diving is like going sport fishing or hunting !You may not catch fish or get that deer or rabbit or squirrel or whatever your hunting ! but there's still the thrill of the chase ,the call of the hunt ! The smell of the Sea ! Or in our case The lure of the DVD case & the smell of the Garbage LOL! But it's kinda the same thing.Looks like we've hooked another one no pun intened with pacpicchu ! SolShrike you've got the right mindset ! you'd rather find oodles & oodles of cases like the rest of us ! But as long as you /we find some that's a good thing as MARTHA would say ! Could you just picture The Grande DIVA of Kmart ! Waist deep in Garbage ! yeah it could happen!! Right! anyway nice hea

ring from you glad you atleast found some anyways ! Happy Hunting , Safe Diving , Hapy HOlidays , Happy Burning & Peace ! Later!

20. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

We should have some kind of Dumpster Dive Princess/Prince award lol For exceptional diving and collection of plastic-y goods, the award goes to...

*drum roll please*

Well we'll just have to wait and see won't we? :)