1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

Wow i just went for my first dive ever today. stopped at jumbo video and their dumpster was completely empty so i drove out a little farther to blockbuster (the blockbuster nearest to me is out of buisiness) its connected to a pharmacy and a food store lucky for me each store section has their own dumpster. so i look inside the dumpster and their is a clear bag full of cases sitting in top i can't describe the feeling of excitement i had seing that many cases and it being my first time. when i lifted the bag it burst at the bottom so i grabbed some empty boxes and hung over the side of the dumpster reaching in and tossed them out sadly it was raining at the time and the cases got wet but i wiped them down when i got home i ended up jumping in to get about 12 cases. i ended up with a total of 119! consisting of 3 doubles, 1 green, 5 white, 91 black, and 19 cardboard/plastic. i started to throw the cardboard ones away because only about three of them were of movies that i had or would ever want but then i decided that i could buy some thick paper and replace the cardboard papers. i left the vhs cases in the dumpster. i didnt expect to get anything today being that garbage is picked up on mondays and wednesdays. i never thought i would have an addiction to anything but you know how they say the first hit's free....every hit is free in the world of dumpster diving lol. gonna go pickup some verbs from best buy tommorrow it'll be my first time using verbs too, i usually use TY's since i joined this forum before them i was using alot of crap media because i didnt know anybetter and im gonna get some printable TY's from SMS if they are still on sale monday cause i dont have any money in my checking account right now. Thx JVC for posting about this and thx for making the latest post because i never woulda went out tonight had i not seen it being the most recent post under media.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Geroid04- I see JVC has infected another one ! LOL ! You apparently get it ! and You got it really good the first time ! Lucky Duck ! Welcome aboard ! You will find the Dumpster divers are a pretty amicable bunch of Guys & girl ( Nailed NY ) and are always happy to welcome another diver to the fold or dumpster as it were ! You'll also find ( hopefully !) that we are an amusing If not slightly eccentric bunch too! Mainly just wanted to say hello ! & Good luck on your future dives ! Dive safe !, Dive well & " FREE IS FREE " Quote from JVC!

3. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

thx BIGTOXY69 i have been reading through this thread for a while and have noticed the funny remarks. i noticed that SMS has cases on sale for 4.99 for 100 after rebate even if my future diving runs are mostly decent i find it hard to pass up a offer like this when you can get each case for about .05 cents a piece im probably gonna buy some just for the hell of it.

http://supermediastore.com/black-dvd-cases-100.html

4. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

forget that its gonna cost $16.00 to ground ship them to me im gonna go diving tommorrow night hopefully after a while i'll be able to figure out their duping schedule.

5. Smacks

Smacks Member

The cases just keep coming! 203 DVD, 29 BB lockable, 4 green, 8 double, 15 Psx, 1 clear, 23 white, 2 purple, 1 yellow, 1 gold and 4 VHS for a total of 291 cases. They even threw in a free PSX game for me. Good luck to all everyone diving. We have some nice weather to look forward to and hopefully lots and lots of cases. See Ya.

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Smacks- Great going again ! went Tuesday & was able to find a Plastic Grocery bag Full ! had'nt counted them yet but don't expect it to be a huge haul but "FREE is still Free ! so I'm happy ! Might've been able to find a few more but Was in new clothes and Wife was with and would have had to get into the dunpster and Root Hog or Die ! Dumpster was full 'O " trash .Cardboard , Those backing cards Blockbuster puts behind the DVD's on the rack to show that that row is empty & what movies go there ! Dis find a couple intersting dvd/Game cases ? That were Tranlucent Green color !! Not like the Regular BOOGER Green ones that I Like Those are not see thru ! Theese are ! They're almoust Mountain dew color except maybe a lttle darker maybe closer to Antifreeze color ! Anyways thought they looked neat so home with me they came ! May make another Run tommorow schedule permitting ! well GOOD luck & Safe Diving everyone ! & great work as usual Smacks! CIao!

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Geroid04- You have just learned the Bane of online Shopping ! Incredible Pricing on product cancelled out by Outragious ! Shipping Charges ! Dvd Cases often have free shipping ! so If you're gonna order that would be the way to go ! And for media as well ! Besides " FREE IS FREE !" to Quote JVC! Personally I would'nt Spend over .25 per case excluding tax of course but that 's me ! Since being introduced to Diving have'nt bought a case in some time now ! Good luck Geroid04 - SAFE & PRODUCTIVE DIVING !

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. MaximusHQ

MaximusHQ Member

I give up on the blockbuster near me in the hannaford plaza because of the cameras on it and also all the new movies are not being transferred into other cases. They are using the ones sent to them. I will have to check out some other places a bit further away. So far I have collected ZERO dvd cases. Good thing I am not a hunter providing for my family coming home with nothing or else we would starve.

9. nailedny

nailedny Guest

MaxamusHQ don't give up!! I went to one yesterday and it was like the trash collectors had just been there. Totally empty. It is raining today so I am not going out!! Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

went thursday only found 2 cases - Was approached ! not by Blockbuster employees ! but By a Homeless person / N. O, Refugee / Wino ? Could'nt make sense out his sob story so sent him packing ! 5 minutes later he was someone else's problem ! Oh well May go saturday & Hopefully better pickings & less stray people to bother me while I does my Thang! Ciao!

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@bigtoxy,
    You could have used him as a scout, tell him what you are looking for and he'll keep an eye out for those wonderful bags full of Blockbuster cases, I'm sure he'd love it if you gave him a bad full of burgers from Mickey D's or the like.

12. Smacks

Smacks Member

Toxy that homeless guy probably thought you were stealing his food. Better watch out for him or he'll close the lid on you. I've been pretty lucky I've never been approached by anyone (Police, BB, or homeless people). Good Luck to everyone and have a good weekend.

13. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

had my first run in with the cops because i decided to go dumpster diving in the part of town where the grass was much greener was kinda annoying because i had my little sister with me and they said i had to go home cause she's only 16 and something about a gay curfew and they followed me for a while so i just went home gonna go back out in about 30 minutes tho by myself so they wont have an exscuse we were going to jumbo video that was in a parking lot with a kroger and we were gonna go into the dumpster but we decided not to because there was some guy outside looking at us so we got back into the car and then thats when the cops pulled up she asked us what we were doing and i lied to her because i didnt want her to tell the stores to lock their dumpsters and i said i was gonna go into kroger she knew i was lying cause of the time and the store being closed but i didnt care cause she didnt have anything on me. good news is i went to another jumbo video closer to my house and found 9 movies 6 of them still in their original cases with the inserts some are scratched up but i'll just buy some brasso and fix that. here's what i found Red Eye, Four Brothers, Cross Bones, Lemony Snickets a series of unfortunate events, jarhead, bad news bears, beauty shop, and 8MM2, and one empty case.

14. XxRUINSxX

XxRUINSxX Regular member

Hmm I know someone who works at a video rental store...Imma see if he can get me the cases...

15. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

went to the grocery store to buy milk and decided to head out to blockbuster too. i found two 2 disc cases with final fantasy IX discs 3 and 4, found sega tennis for PS2, NBA Live 99 for PS1, total number of cases from BB 3 cardboard, 3 doubles, and 2 clear. Didnt find alot this time but i get more out of the excitement of looking to see what i can find anyway. they threw away those VHS players they use to playback movies too, their was like 4 of them in suitcases in there i started to take one but i dont have any VHS tapes nor am i the type of person that likes to take things apart and play with them. Gonna Go to Office Depot and grab a pack of 100 DVD+R for 20 bucks and wait till next sunday morning to go diving again, Good luck to all you fellow divers and have a nice memorial day weekend.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  16. Smacks

Smacks Member

Had a pretty decent dive this morning. 106 DVD, 26 BB lockables, 6 PSX, 4 Double, 3 Green, 2 White and 1 clear for a total of 148 cases.
    None of them were in a bag so I had to jump in to rescue all of these. It's alot more fun diving in the warm weather.

Geroid04 nice find on the DVD's and games. Most of the DVD's I find are special features discs. I also like diving early Sunday mornings because nobodies around and I can dive in peace. Good luck everyone and Happy Diving!!!

17. Smacks

Smacks Member

Had a very good day today. DVD 236, BB 21, double 17, psx 6, clear 15, white 5, red 4, maroon 1, purple 1, pink 1, blue 1, green 3 and VHS 1 for a total of 312. Lots of colorful cases on this dive. Good luck and happy diving!!!

18. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Way to go Smacks. I had a good day on Friday. Not sure of how many but I did fill 2 trash cans. My dives are never really easy. First I pulled my car up so I could stand on the hood. I was with my favorite diving partner. After I couldn't lean in and scoop out anymore and realized my white capris were black I decided to jump in. There was soooooo much trash that it was hard to find a place to stand. My best friend and assistant stood on the outside and I handed her handfuls. We spotted a cop and I ducked inside and she was a nervous wreck saying it was time to go. He drove by and I was not about to leave just yet. Way too many cases to leave behind. The final straw was the case I handed her covered in puke. Yes throw-up. EWE!!! I did grab a few more and swung myself out. The smell was really bad. I felt so dirty. We ran into Walmart and scrubbed out hands. The smell was still on our hands so we needed to get some hand sanitizer. When I got home I threw all the dvd's on my front lawn and sprayed them down with a hose. Again and Again. Sprayed a little cleaner on them and rinsed. Then I stacked them in 2 trash cans. Then, there was the trunk of my car. I sprinkled some carpet deodorizer and left it open for a few hours...8. Oh yea, free is free, right boys???

19. JVC

JVC Active member

Puke?
    Eweeeee!

20. JVC

JVC Active member

Thanks herbsman!

Ok, y'all. It's open again. Let's hear about the dives you've made.
    I haven't done any diving lately, but the manager gave me about 30 cases.