1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well just got back from blockbuster. didnt find any in the dumpster, but i went in the store and asked the guy if he had any that he was gonna toss... said he didnt have any right now BUT..... he did give me 16 of them mostly PS2 cases 13of them and 3 duel cases....told me to come back in a week when they got done building there displays and he would give me all i wanted....CHA CHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

check this pic out
    [​IMG]

so next friday im gonna hit'em up again.. what a way to end the work day....
    i did think i really hit the jackpot.. got home and opend one case up and it had the guide/hand book for MADDEN 07. damn no game..lol

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- You see - Social engineering at it's finest! Or how to bs your way into some cases - Whatever works right? Glad they got you started !! good luck & happy burning ! cincyrob Byr now "FREE IS FREE"

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that should be added to the thread title
    gonna go this afternoon to the blockbuster here by me and ask them also...lol

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Well, perhaps this is going to be a stupid question but...why do the stores throw them away?

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i was wondering the same thing and what happens to the disc that are in them? thats the real question???? the guy that gave those 16 to me lastnight, he had easy 100 of them right there under there front counter...maybe 30 or so were the green xbox cases.. he was gonna give them to me also...

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- There you go ! I have three Blockbuster within 30 miles of where I live ( actually there's probably more but these are closest ) & I try to hit them all if I can ? I have the most luck at my main store - Good location - Officedepot, SuperWally's & Radioshack & Chinese Resturaunt right across the street ! But occasionally I make a decent dive at the others ! It just depends ? I made one Good Dive at a non Blockbuster video store ( VideoUsa) But have been unable to repeat that success at that location though I still check the dumpster regularly ! Another trick is keep your Eyes peeled for Blockbusters when your out and about ! Or OOT & ABOOT! for our canadian friends LOL! That would give you another one to try even if your just visiting that area ! Or you can be smart or lazy take your pick * just look them up in the yellow pages on the internet ! either in your local area or whichever area/town /city you plan to visit ! Be creative & resourceful & you may never Buy another DVD case again , you might even end up with free movies ,Games & magazines ect... To boot ! Blockbuster Chucks out lots of magazines atleast here they DO ! Good luck safe diving - Happy burning , DIVE, DIVE,Dive & always remember " FREE IS FREE "

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@BIGTOXY

i hear ya brother. when iwas at the one lastnight i did look into the dumpster befor i went in, there was alot of gameing mags. in there. to be honest there might have been some cases but they were still open so i just went in.. was suprised to my results from going in i didnt even give it a thought to look back in the dumpster..lol

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- Whatever works ! - You've done good anyways ! I don't normally bother with the magazines - their either Gaming or Music magazines but often they're still in the plastic bag/wrapper & never opened ! so if the mag was one someone liked atleast it won't be sticky from fast food residue ! Occasionally though the cases have a little gunk on them ( Soda residue , chewing gum ect... ) nothing a little hot water dishwashing liquid and a little elbow grease won't cure though ! And for those troublesome stickers ! I would suggest Isopropyl alcohol or even better A product called Goo Gone - made for removing the stickum left behind by price stickers ect... works pretty good ! But alcohol will do in a pinch ! A hairdryer will help you dry the excess moiture off your recently washed cases any kind will do except perhaps the beauty parlor Bonnet type ! and There you go clean cases ! I've never had a problem with odors ( Atleast with dvd cases !LOL!!!!) but someone posted a comment on AD about buying some cases that had a strong unpleasnt odor ( Possibly made from Recycled Plastics - Tend to smell funny) & how to get rid off the odor & I seem to recall that someone mentioned putting them in a bag with some dryer sheets & or possibly some activated charcoal? I'm not sure about the dryer sheets but the charcoal part should work ! or perhaps bagging or boxing them up with a open box of baking soda for a while ? or I suppose one could spray them with a product like Fabreeze or some other industrial type odor out formula assuming that it's plastic safe of course ! Like I said I've never had problems with the odor thing with Dumpster retieved cases so This is just for info or in case anyone dose ? & One could possibly try just airing them out for awhile as well perhaps the odor would disapate over time ? Points to ponder ! Good luck , Safe diving & happy Burning cincyrob

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  9. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Or you could just stop showering such as I've done for the winter and then you don't even notice the cases. It's kind of liberating actually, nobody bugs you and the pizza guy never sticks around to ask for a tip.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Regarding Odor, an old Marine Corps Trick:

Odor is caused by bacteria which can be tenacious stuff...wash it, dry it with heat etc. and its still there. Bleach might be practical if you leave it exposed to it long enough. Another thing that works for stinkiness is FREEZING. It was a trick we use to use with our combat boots or running shoes which you can't really soak in bleach without ruining them. Washing them with the strongest soaps and even the heat of the drying won't help the odor for long. Freezing though ruptures the cell walls of the offending bacteria buggies and kills them. So, if wife or mother won't freak out and have a heart attack, turn your freezer up good and high and throw in your cases or stinky shoes and leave them there for a couple of days.

No one will ever want to eat at my place again after reading this LOL!

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

A Reds fan complaining about stinkiness? Okay. What next, serving Quiche at 3 Rivers Stadium? Febreeze works great at getting rid of odors, and the pet carpet cleaner sprays work as well.

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

At Blockbuster they throw away the cases because they put the dvds in locking cases(you know the yellow thing they pull out).I asked for some of them there and they said they now come in the locking cases so they don't have nearly as many to toss. I don't know if that is true but they haven had any lately.

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

AH, I see ... I've never been to blockbuster.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just got back from the blockbuster here by me.. the dude there was a goober. he said he couldnt give them to me for personal use?????? and said its illegal to copy movies...lol AS IF... what a shmuck...

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! What's a goober?

16. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

They now have your picture posted on the company web site Rob

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

as long as they got me in my griffey jersey and pete rose jacket its all good.

gonna go back again tomorrow see if i can get someone else to talk too

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Actually it was the black and grey Rose Jersey, the one with 6 digits on it.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

come on now BlivetNC.. dont hate the player...lol just cause pete has more hits than the entire boston team you dont have to hate him...lol

now i cant say that there has been 1 or 2 good boston players.. i think they left and joined the YANKME's....

20. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I don't hate the player, just like using him as an example of what happens when great players think that they are above the laws, and now want us to forgive them. O.J. was was a great running back, who is rumoured to have a unique solution to deal with anger over separation issues. Let's not forget the infamous Chicago Black Sox, but you get my drift.