1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

A couple of weeks ago, I passed my old apartment complex and right there in and around the dumpster, free for the pickins as this awesome and expensive home office furniture/workstation set up, hardly a mark on it. If I'd had the muscle, I'd have brought it home and thrown out mine. There were a lot of wealthy college students with rich daddies in that building/neighborhood. THe beginning and end of each semester as well as the semester breaks are great times to go dumpster diving. Especially those kids moving back home for good ... they throw away the greatest stuff; they make no attempt at all to even sell any of it. When I was a kid in school, most of my furniture was made of boards, milkcrates and cinderblocks.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- Om putting your Previously found cases in a clean Garbage can & Pretending to Find them again ? ( or as My Lovely wife Moragn Fairchild Yeah that's the ticket !!) Would say " I found it ! , It was'nt lost !!! , But I found it ! LOL! Several years ago There was a Big Drug Bust in a Small Louisiana Parish/Town? I forget which specific One it was The Local Police/Sheriff's office ? whichever they Had ? Found / Busted a Moving Van Full of Drugs !!! Matijauana ,& more worth Many dollars in their Town - Big news and Publicity for them for about two weeks or More ! Then as Paul Harvey would Say " The rest of the story Came out !!!!!" The police/Sheriff's office were able to Find /Bust /Confiscate all Those illegal Drugs So easily because ! Ta-Da !!!! They had Placed Them there in the 1st place ! ( The Drugs were from previous arrest /Drug bust sezuires ect... !!!! Straight out of Their eveidence room ! Long story short That's Cheating ! The True story was'nt as exciting as the made up one so after a short while it went away ! I'm Not calling You a cheat of course ! I'm just trying not to be an Enabler for you delusions of Grandeur !!!!LOL! I find that The Cardboard Boxes That they sell Bulk Toilet paper in at sams Makes a Good DVD case storage area if You have room to store them in ? perhaps you have run in to The Zen Dumpster QuandRy - ( Where to Put all My Free DVD Cases ? ) if Not You soon will LOL! Good luck & safe diving !

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@BigToxy

well it did sound good at the time..lol as far as haveing some place for all of them i did clean out the top of my closet shelf and have them all up there.

got a question for everyone. when you get your cases do you go ahead and fill them with your blank disc or do you just keep the blanks in the cake box and get them as you go? just curious. i normally fill me cases when i get them, but it didnt plan on getting 400 cases at once..lol

went to the dive lastnight snow and all.. nothing other than some covers of superman and gridiron gang.. got a few for the boys too play with.

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- I basically Leave the Blanks in the Spindles Till I burn them . Nothing wrong with putting them in the cases thought ! they'll be protected well enough ! In My case ( pun unintended !!!) I've got Sony, Maxell , Taiyo Yuden , Officedepot , Fuji (MIJ's Hooray for me !!!!) Sony MIJ's Taiyo & Non Taiyo )Verbatims ect... So If I put'em In the dvd cases ahead of time And assuming ( I Know about ASSUME !!!LOL) that all my cases are Generically Black , They are'nt all but most are I would Have to root through a enormous quanity of cases If I want wanted to Change Brands or Speeds of Media ! I have Some 4x Verbatims left , Lot's of various 8x Blanks ^ lot's of 16x see what I mean ? I would have to label my cases as to speed brand DVD+R or DVD-R ect... " My brain Hurts !!Monty Python " Easy MongO!!LOL! Where as If I keep them spindle side I reach for what I need !when I need it ! Thought I generally stick to one Spindle /brand /speed at a time I still like the freedom to keep my options open! Like I said though This is what works for Moi!( miss piggy perfume bottle french !!!!) But there's nothing wrong with casing them if you want to ? I like to Put Scary /horror /Scifi Movies in them CHartruese ! " Phlourescent Booger Green cases that games come in Sometimes ) Although most of My Dumpster rescued treasures are the regular single black cases I have gotten the occasional Clear/Milky White ,Purple ( Go LSU !!!!) , Blue , Yellow orange , Red and the Booger Green ones - White & The Odd thick sliver grey Doubles ! The Booger Green ones are they Most common Non Black ones followed by the white ones ! I suppose if I had enough of each color I could color code them Different colors for Different speeds or Brands ! But I don't but a good thought though! well Good luck & happy Hunting Put some new pics up on the profile & deleted one off ! If you gonna be around there for a look ! Later Buddy feetz !Up Head Down !

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i hear ya on the cases. ive yet to build my stash like you and others here. i only have150 or so verbs bout 10 sony mij's and still have 5 of the samples TY sent me. so its kinda easy for me to know whats what..lol

ive been to your page and left ya something

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i dont wanna keep posting in different threads. if y a want everyone go to docTYs thread and see my last post about windats/ty disc i have found

7. JVC

JVC Active member

I wait until I burn them. That way I only handle the discs one time.
    Also never know which disc I'll need to burn (print to hub, or print to center).

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

ive been to your page and left ya something!

Sounds Ominous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

oooooh!!!! scary!!!!!!

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you guys crack me up....lmao cant even leave a shout out for someone, with out it being dirty...lol

hey ddp, wheres creaky been? havent seen him for a while now??

11. ddp

don't know. maybe still on "holiday" on his bathtub.

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LOL! For those who don't know, Creaky has what I believe is called a "long boat" ... what we'd call a small river barge I think.

13. 21Q

21Q Regular member

It seems like the point of this thread has changed but, In my school dumpster i found, 13 computers, 7 good screens, 3 giant printers to print posters, and a small printer. I took 2 hd's and 2 sticks of ram. I hit the jackpot and I dont know what to do, what should I do AD!!!!

14. ddp

get them working proerly than sell them. MONEY!!!!

15. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

How bout some nice cases in trade?

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

someone say spmething about case trading???lol

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

@2IQ,
    Mail them to me and I'll do the right thing. LMAO!! Good for you, I'm sure these vultures will help you in your decisions. J/K!! Can't help myself when you go jumping into dumpsters what else will you do? LOL.

....gm

18. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I hope that the school doesn't empty the dumpster buy monday or my fortune is gone.

19. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Listen here, Greensman, (picking my nose), just what do you mean by that? I'll have you know that some of the greatest minds they have here at AD are divers. Course I ain't one of em, but you can imagine the technical expertise of an individual so focused and driven to excel that he would put himself in unbecoming situations in order to go beyond the average. Someone who digs in the dumpsters of information, throwing aside the rotten lettuce of bad media and Budweiser cans stinking of vague answers to emerge more complete and well-rounded. If not for those brave souls who root for what is there for the taking for free when only the rich and prosperous could afford it, where, oh where MR. GREENSMAN, would we be?! GOD BLESS JVC!!! SAY IT!!! SAY IT!!! OW-OWWWW!!! Whew...sorry Greensman. It's been a long dry spell; I haven't had a case in almost 3 weeks. I just keep going from dumpster to dumpster. Sometimes I even go by video stores that aren't on my way home. I don't know man, maybe I should move to Cincinnati. They say the dumpsters down there are overflowing with cases.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Poor, poor little RippDogg....wimper, wimper, wimper. I hope that you know that I was just poking a little fun at the divers with my long white PVC pole. Mwuuaaa-haha-hahahaha!! That dang Red's fan has me so GREEN with envy that I can't even think right or bring myself out of my own pit of despair to go for another dumpster dive myself. ;) I've looked but never made the actual plunge into oblivion. Although I agree with you about the aD helpful, they still scare me when they rummage through the trash. They better not be going through mine cause they'll come up with a handful of baby poo-poo from my youngest and that's it. I don't throw nuttin away if it has some value, especially DVD/CD cases. hehe. I also have gone astray from the norm and ventured amongst the outer edges of suburbia to rescue the lost or abandoned case. Please, a cry for the lost or even some quiet time just to remember them. I will not move to Cincinnati, I know the people that live up there. They are braggarts and hoarders. I still have so much animosity for the Red's fan, if only he would share in the wealth I think that I could forgive him. I would have so much love for him and what he does for the poor lost little cases on the eve of sharing. In this reguard he is my HERO but my envy still gets the best of me unfortunately at the expense of the poor little cases.

a friend of the TRULY helpful here at AD........;)

.....gm