1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Zoso

Yeah, I use binders. I'm using 200 count now and they seem too big. 100 was perfect. When I started this, I used a 32 binder, and quickly saw that 64 would be better-NOT- so 100 binder was used. From the beginning, I did make a word running table that list the movies as I did them by name-programs used-compress%-whether Adv-Analysis was used. Each movie was given a binder # and then a slot number 1-32 and now 200 on the discs. Every month I save an alphabetized version so I can keep track and find them easily.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ebay those cases and make some extra $$$$ LOL!

Pepsi started another promotion,so their caps are orange or yellow. Also on their 12/24 pk cartons. I'm using them for free MP3 songs for the kiddies MP3 players, we got them for christmas.
    5 caps = 1 mp3 download. 90 pts for a DVD.

Coke's still holding strong,but not many prizes to choose from.

Dr Pepper also got their promo for free dr pepper. I already fetched out 6 winners from the recycling dumpster this week.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i swear by binders, mine hold 240 discs each, i have 8 full now, can't imagine that many discs in boxes/on shelves. (have taught the kids to handle discs carefully so they never get damaged now, even when in binders). I only keep the kids collection of dvd's on shelves, then they don't have to mess about looking thru many binders just to watch something; as for me, these days i don't hardly even watch movies off the dvd's, i watch the AVI/or DVD movies off the actual PC, over the network on one or more old xboxes, got sick of wasting time looking for movies, now i just browse a few network shares and enjoy. Kinda makes it easier when your PC has 5x 500GB drives plus a few via external enclosures :)

(my dvds are definitely classed as 'backups' now) :)

Good to see you dumpster acrobats are still finding some amazing stuff;

21Q - you must have a sixth sense for finding Macs by now

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@creaky

Awesome storage power. And I thought I was doing ok with 1175 movies.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

2500gb's of storage.i'd hat to have to defrag that...lol
    they wife kinda got on me today about so many cases.wants to know what im gonna do with the 2 bags i have left to go through....lol told her i have some friends that might need some......

;)~

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Creaky with over 1600 movies I can see using the binders for sure!! I'm impressed. lol. I'm with rob on the 2.5 TB of storage. WOW... I've wanting to get a couple of 500GB drives, you got a favorite?

Anyway your guys luck is much better than mine ever was. I have to beg a friend for cases when I need them. lol.

Keep up the good diving!!!

.....gm

7. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I find it amusing how I can never seem to bag any dvd cases but I always seem to get some kind of apple product. Today I actually got a pair of apple pro speakers and a broken 4th gen 20gb ipod. It needs a new mobo but still mounts so I'll probably leave it as it is. I need a 7th sense now for dvd cases lol.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm a Western Digital fan, my 500's IDE's are WD5000AAKB, the SATA ones are WD5000AAKS. All are silent, fairly cool running, and take a fair while to fill up :) That said i need a couple more drives, only have 6 500GB SATA and 3 IDE. Just putting a 500GB in an xbox, have 2 USB2.0 enclosures that are crying out for 500GB drives, and a couple more enclosures that really should be hooked up;

not the kind of thing to find in dumpsters unfortunately

/me digs out the debit card again

9. 21Q

21Q Regular member

*Stares at his whimpy 80gb enclosure and 80gb laptop* I plan on building a computer but I'm waiting until usb 3.0 is released on a mobo with ddr3 ram. 3.0 is still in the prototype stage so I have to play the waiting game.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the input creaks!! I've been wondering about the 500GB drives and it seems the WD drives are a little cheaper most of the time. ;) Good product and cheaper, can't go wrong there. ;) Yeh I think 21Q is the only person I know that gets computer goodies from the DUMPSTER. lol.

/me chuckles at creaks "need" to dig out plastic..... :D

Your made of money your are.....

...gm

btw sorry for the OT post. :S

11. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Grabbed a nice amp for my guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Dude are you serious?? You get the best stuff out of dumpsters that I've ever seen. LOL. Cases are one thing and my buddy ROB is the best but Computers, Amps, and God only knows what you fish out of them. :D

Good job and I'm jealous!! It wouldn't work for a BASS guitar would it?? I've got this little 15amp job that works but hey you always want more right?? hehehe.

....gm

13. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

21Q, Are you serious? Where do dive inside best buy, Who honestly finds computers, an amp and a fricken ipod.. What store do you look in. And also to anyone what is the best time of day to go diving. Because I might have to start pre season early and start the new sensation.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. 21Q

21Q Regular member

XD I just look around for this kind of stuff. My school is the main contributor for the computers. Also, there are a lot of garbage days around my neighborhood. So when I see something I like I pick it up. Most of my stuff/crap as others say, is from either the trash or from people I know. Just gotta know the right people ;)

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

GM it would work with a 4 string Bass but not a 5 string Bass same with a 7 string guitar wouldn't work lol, ok I'm done picking on you yes it would work!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Hehe, I didn't want to say anything but that works too.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its a sad day in dumpsterville. the BB that i got my first big load and alot of others is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!! worked late lastnight, went to the dive afterwards what do i se the nuildng all closed up signs on the doors saying were closed and moved to new location..30-40 away there was all kinds of junk in the dumpster. No cases..well i got 2 and 3 thick pokemon mag's

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- darn That's Gotta Sting !!!!!!!!! Gee I complain cause my local Blockbuster's 2 nearest stores are 18-20 something miles from my sQuatch Cave in either Direction & it only get's worse from there !especially with the price of gas like it is ! So I generally make a roadtrip out of it and visit other stores & do some errands ! Well rob You could always try and get a side job with the Waste management Company as long as you could get the Blockbuster routes & Keep all You catch LOL!!!!!!!! seriously though You should be good for awhile though with all those Sucessfull previous dives right ? I would still check the dumpster there a few more times case they have'nt finished Cleaning up You never Know You Might Get Mega Lucky ??????? with The cases & stuff I mean !!!!!!!!!! LOl ! Good luck & happy Burning & Diving anyways ! rob Ciao!!!!!!!!

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Scored 150 cleaned already boxed up cases from Blockbuster at the checkout. Didn't have to get dirty. Just ask.

21Q does seem to be "finding" a lot of good stuff??????? :)

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Tis a sad day for the cincyman!! You know what's ironic?? I have 4-5 stores within 5 miles of my house and I've yet to come up with any goodies.... ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... lol. Heck I have 2 less than a mile from the house.... Yep nothing!!

garmoon we'll have to stop by 21Q's place and see what we can get. lol. His "trash" is better than most of my "treasure".. hehehe. :p j/k 21Q..

....gm