1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

@ pwhite23: You may want to ask them. I have heard of people doing this with varied results. Target, Staples, Gamestop, and the mall. These 4 places are in the same area for me. And since it's a stones throw from NY the garbage is the least of their worries. What exactly are they covered with?

EDIT: Although I look around there I haven't been successful there. I find most of this stuff from school dumpsters. They are always throwing away old technology or stuff that they can't fix. Asking a lot people you know as well is good.

Edit 2: I noticed I'm a senior member now, I feel older than I am now XP

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I hit a new recycling facility at my nearby fishing lake. It's a very nice setup. Video cameras and dumpsters out of the wazoo.

You can buy blue trashbags for $1 each. They have 2 dumpsters for the bags to be placed in-your basic trash dumpster size 8 x 8 or so.

They had 2 dumpsters,same size as the trash dumpsters-for the thicker corrugated cardboard.

They had 2 long enclosed dumpsters,with 8 lids on each one. 1 dumpster was for lighter cardboard,newspaper,magazines,books,scrap paper. The lids were about chest level,so very difficult to dive.That baby was loaded with newspapers.

2nd long dumpster was for bottles/jugs/jars of glass and plastic. Also for aluminum cans,but didn't see many in there. 65 cents a lb in my area for aluminum cans.There wasn't very much stuff in that dumpster. I did get about a dozen caps, and 7 carton codes out of there.

Next time, I'm going to take a 2/3 step ladder. I also need to rig up a frog gig so I can gig for the far/deep bottles. I thing my dad's got one of those long extension grippers. I'll have get it from him.

Greensman: Thanx for pm'ing me the codes.

3. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I have a History teacher who likes to collect these bottle caps. Not sure how many points he has but I always give him my caps.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got an ample supply of the coke caps-around 200? But I get to enter the carton codes 1st because of the higher pt value.Those are highly coveted. 10 codes per day limit,so that's 30 pts with 10 bottle caps,100 pts in 12 pks,or 200 pts for 10 of the 24 pk cases. Cases of Dasani is worth even more. I gotta keep an eye for them.

I didn't start until last fall,but already got the kids 2 xbox 360 games for free for christmas.

People like that ebay seller that had 10,000 pts worth of coke 12 pk codes on auction would have to work at a major recycling center. The ones who get to sort all the recyclables for the region.

It would take 100 days just to get those 10,000 pts entered!

BTW: I also collect Campbell Soup labels and Pepperidge farm UPC symbols for other coworkers. It's pretty funny when we all hook up and exchange caps,carton codes,labels,and symbols, LOL.

5. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

Ya I think I will talk to him. I mean if there throwing it away they should allow me to pick around for stuff. The only thing I do need to know is that I have to have a legit excuse of why I want to look in their garbage. Because like little155 said they would rather have me by their stuff then get it for free. I think I could use an excuse like Im making a sculpture or something made out of electronics. I don't know thats the best i have for now. Anybody else got any suggestions feel free to reply.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How about:

Recycling electronics for Charity? Giving it to the sisters of the poor. Giving it to help local vocational schools.

Environmental: Removing all the lead from all the soldering of terminals in electronics? There are people out there that collect old electronics and melts the boards down for gold,silver,copper,and even platinum. 1 of them live's a half hour away from me.He's also a chemist,but does the melting on the side.

Build a tank just like in the "A Team"?

You're building a Robot?

7. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I'm pretty sure the charity one would have some legal issues. Sometimes what I say is "I'm taking the stuff to attempt to fix the items and give them to less fortunate. If I can't then I'll recycle it." I just added that recycling bit there. Try asking first, then if they want a reason give it to them.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

theres no way there going to let you in there dumpster no matter what you say.

what happens if you got cut/hurt bad etc. they(Best Buys) would be responsible. and getting there ass sued off isn't what Best Buys is looking for so you might as well forget the idea

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I got a pamphlet from the USPS about identity theft:

Common ways ID theft happens:

1) Dumpster Diving. They rummage through trash looking for bills or paper with your personal information on it.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You got that right saugmon. I try to shred and or burn all those uninvited mailings especially those credit card offers. I go two from american express that had a card with all you had to do was call them to activate it. They have no idea what my phone # is. In reality, they probably know or can get any data on any one of us. Scary. Has anybody looked into the Life Lock service that protects your good credit? I checked but you have to block 2 SSN yours and wife get it up over $20 a month. May just use one to block mine.

11. 21Q

21Q Regular member

This reminds me of a while back when I found a social security number. I returned it of corse but it was a scary feeling having it. Some places separate technology and paper. Just hope that places you go to do have that policy.

12. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

of course if they let me i wouldn't go diving into their garbage because they wouldn't allow me. But i would just ask them if they could hand me a few electronics of there's. And give them a specific "for example" list of what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Ya so I just called best buy, they said they mainly throw away boxes in there dumpsters. The outdated stuff and what not is sent back to the manufactures and the only thing they really get rid of is earphones, they send those out and they get "blasted" because you cant re-use ear phones because of possible what not. But I managed to sweet talk my way through so hopefully they will give my name and number to a higher official, (which they said they would), and I asked if i could possibly have a few things that they are shipping back to the manufacturer. The call went fairly smooth and I used the reason that I'm doing a project where I'm trying to fix up broken stuff and send them the charitable orginizations...hopefully this will work.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]they mainly throw away boxes in there dumpsters[/bold]

Of all the dumpsters I drive by that are around stores, 75% of the contents is cardboard. That cardboard can easily be baled and recycled. And they wonder why the landfills fill up quickly. Recycle the cardboard,and cut your trash costs.

I hit that same new recycling site today. Yielded about 10 case/12 pk codes and 20 caps. I had my 2 step ladder,but still need a gaffe/frog gigging stick to get the bottom bottles, LOL.

14. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@Saugmon,
    Most commercial establishments are required by local laws and or codes to have a recycling cardboard only dumpster on their lot. (At least in North/South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland) Trust me, all the stuff disposed in the recycling dumpster is recycled, it doesn't end up in a landfill.

15. 21Q

21Q Regular member

:O I'm telling you be careful with the charity thing. They will expect that you ARE giving it to a charity and if they find out your not you will be in trouble with the law.

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Or you can refurbish it and donate it to Garmoon's Church of the What's Happening Now.

17. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

A) if they actually give me stuff the things I want I will take the other just recycle and call them up saying I couldn't fix it.
    B) to be totally honest with you I don't think they will give me anything, and I also don't have to take anything from them.

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

OK so I got about 300 Blockbuster empty DVD cases and I want to remove all their stickers. What the best way? Soaking them in hot water just creates more work for having to dry them out. Alcohol not so quick either. How about WD40? or anything else.

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

GooBeGone?

I've got a few myself from those turbo tax demo discs they send out. Very difficult to get the entire sticker off,especially the white sticky residue.

I hit another small recycling station today. I asked to go dumpster diving and they said nobody's ever dived there before. Got a few caps and 12 pk codes. They thought I was nuts.These were huge industrial dumpsters that were taller than me. The old guy opened the back end and let me have at it. I was hoping for better results. I even went a town south of there and what turned out to be their recycling drop center was actually paper only. Did find 1 box code.
    I was looking for their blockbuster but looks like it has closed down and disappeared.

Going later to hit last weeks recycling center.No one around and plenty of time to dig around with my latest gadget.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

@garmoon,
    I've had luck with a hairdryer set on high or medium for removing "stickers". The only thing that you have to be careful of is the clear plastic cover. Give it a try and see what happens. ;) You can try a heat gun but they tend to get hot REALLY quickly so do be careful if you have one of those. :D

....gm