1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my computer is shot....u got to help me

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by longjonsi, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

But what everyone Keeps forgetting is that he said he can't get into the Bios. Yes there are millions of very easy solutions if you can acess the Bios. But if you can't there are two solutions:
    1. Do as I said with Linux to force a format or
    2. Remove the hard drive, add it to an other computer using either an external inclosure or direct connect the IDE cable. Once connected as D: or what ever, delete and format it.

Number two will work for sure to get the OS off, thats what he needs as it keeps geting detected and skiping over the CD rom drive. Since he is still on the forum, he probally has an other computer and this is an other option. But be very carefull with option #2 as it can transfer the virus to the other system.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

He said that he could get as far as safe mode! The option to enter the BIOS comes long before reaching safe mode since the soft driving safe mode is on the hard disk and a part of Windows. This could not happen unless the BIOS is still intact and funtioning.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

THe Bios may be fully functioning and working, but that stupid proram that Compaq uses for you get to it is on the C drive and might be gone.

But anyways keys I know that will get you there:
    Clones: the Delete key.
    Compaqs before 2000: F10 key or F12
    Compaqs after 2000: F3 key, or F7 key
    Some Hp computers: Esc key or F3 or F2

Off the top I my head I cant rember my new IBM (old but bought on Sat) or my Notebook (Toshiba) keys.

But don't just try delete. Try the whole F1 to F12 set. IF you lucky one might work.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The compaq laptop I use at work was experiencing operating system problems under Win2K and the restore disk wouldn't work. I used a full install verion of Win2K I have at home to reformat the hard disk and do a clean reinstall of Win2 which cleaned up the system. I then ran the compag restore disk to restore the Win2K version configured to compaq PC needs. It's a good 15 months later at not a problem. By the way I don't recall longjonsi stating that he had a compaq your just guessing and admittedly he hasn't refuted it.

5. longjonsi

longjonsi Member

ok, let me try to say everthing so we dont have any more confusions:

-i have an hp (yea i know, but its all i could get)

-i have home and im trying to format and go to pro

-i can not access anything but the one menu that i mentioned at the begining but none of the options work (it just restarts and goes back to the menu again)so i cant get into safe mode or the regular windows.

-when i start up i have tried pushing f4 and delete but neither work...and i think i have tried f2 (ive restarted so many times now i cant remember what ive done now) but i'll try f2 again anyway.

-i have two hard drives (if that helps at all)

-i have tried to boot from my cd but the bios is set not to do that and i cant get in to change it.

ok i think thats all the symptons my computer has. i'll try the www.bootdisk.com thing and the f2, and see if that works but i cant do it till tomarro after noon.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I realize that you can't actually get into safe mode, but in your original post you stated that you got to the safe mode menu.

safe mode
    safe mode with command prompt
    safe mode with networking

If you got that far then you can enter into your bios. When you turn your PC on the very first screen filled with text you will see at the bottom of your screen on directions telling you how to enter setup. If you find this too daunting then you need to get help from an expereinced builder or go to a service center.

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

If you want to completly format the computer, dont want any thing on it.
    Get a windows 98 Start-up Disk. Choose With CD-ROM Support. From The A:\ type FDISK. Agree to the windows. Go into the Delete Partition Menu (3) and delete Non-DOS Partition (4). Exit and go to Create Partition (1) then create Primary Partition (1).
    Restart the comptuer and boot from the floopy disk again. Type Format C:\u then Accept.. The HDD is now formated. from the A:\ type E:\ (e being CD drive) then cd i386 then winnt (E:\i386\winnt) that will start the Windows XP Installion. You can change the file format to NTFS through the installion.

Regards

CoZZa - corey@fastrac.net.au
    http://users.tpg.com.au/noelb

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If he can get to the help mode menu screen then he can get into the bios and if he can do that then he can reformat and reinstall XP. I think the problem here is he that is unfamiliar with the help other have tried to provide him. Most of the suggestions would have worked but he was unable to benefit from any of them and he should probably seek help from someone who is more experienced.

9. longjonsi

longjonsi Member

sophocles im not that stupid..i know how to get into the bios and it wont let me. when i turn it on i start to push whatever buttom im testing out continiously and nothing happens until i get to that safe mode menu. and i think the floopy disk thing is gonna work i just havent gotten to it cause the computer i use to talk on this thread has no floopy drive and the only other one i have is the screwed one. so im waiting till i get the floopy from somewhere else

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I apologize if my last post sounded as though I was implying that you were stupid, I can assure that was not my intention. My impression is that you are new at this and that you might be a little over your head. Back in 1995 when I built only a couple of systems I too ran into problems that seened insurmountable but I eventually got it. If you can't get into your bios you might want to try and remove the system battery for a minute and then return it. My brother once tried to overclock his system and he went way too far and he went into a state of panic for days until he called me. All he had to do was remove his battery which of course then reset his bios. Good Luck

11. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

wonder who suggested that.

lol ;)