1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR75 review and performance

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by renderman, Mar 28, 2004.

1. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

check your mail Cath.....you CANT go wrong with one of these. :)

2. renderman

renderman Guest

Yeah, the video capture of the movie was a little time consuming, but not a hassle at all, and the quality of the final dvd is exactly as the original. TBC in the video editor removes the macro.

I have a old macro remover that I used to use when cloning commercial vhs copies. It has always done the job, but NOT when inserted between dvd player and recorder. Philips still will report copyguard violation.

Guess I need a new macro remover....

renderman

3. renderman

renderman Guest

Hey ret27m40,

Will you send me the information via e-mail as well?

Thanks
    renderman

bob@pyramid-video.com

4. cath1979

cath1979 Member

ret your the best!
    take it ez
    *Cat

5. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

Glad I could help WINK ;)

6. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

you got mail renderman :)

7. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Well I finally gave in to all the great reviews for the DVDR75 from this thread. Just ordered it yesterday from 6ave.com. Just wondering if all your experiences with 6ave have been good? Read a couple of bad reviews on the store, but none here. Anyway, I hope you guys are still here when I set it up and the questions start arising.

8. cath1979

cath1979 Member

www.6ave.com is awesome. I ordered mine on a Friday and got it on Monday* It arrived to me in like 2 days! I only paid the $9.25 that is the cheapest. They are based out of New Jersey, so if you live on the West coast/or in the middle, I would give them a little more time---they use UPS* which is an A+...Also, I have to agree with everyone---the recording is 1,000% better than the Cyberhome.*
    www.6ave.com is a great place to do business*
    -Catherine

9. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Thanks, Catherine. I live in Pennsylvania, so delivery should be literally, just around the corner........Jack

10. cath1979

cath1979 Member

awesome!!!...I live on the East Coast too, in Massachusetts* A+...Case closed!
    -Catherine

11. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

I've ordered alot of stuff from 6ave, my whole sound syster is from there, they treat you right. A place you can trust and they have awesome prices too :)

12. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Thanks for the reassurance, Ret.

13. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

renderman I sent you the link to the remover at the address you provided and it came back undeliverable???
    get with me ill get it to you some how.

14. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Facetvideo makes a Macrovision killer that is legal to sell and legal to buy. The illegality comes in how you choose to use it. Is this the calrifier you have been talking about?

15. Indept21

Indept21 Guest

I recently bought a Philips dvdr75. And yes the Cyberhome is going back to Best Buy. The Cyberhome cost 236 + tax at Best Buy & the Philips was 349 + tax but after reading in a couple of forums It's worth the extra money for less headaches. The Cyberhome was more straight forward in both the remote operation & the instructions, & the on screen menus for that matter but I'll get used to the philips.

Does anyone know if there is a dvd compatibility list of dvd brands that work with it? I know the cyberhome wouldn't even read a movie off of a Khypermedia dvd-r that I play on my Philips surround sound system.

I recently bought a 25 pack of Memorex DVD+RW's. I hope they will work.

16. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

I emailed them about it and they sent a list small tho, it had the basic tdk, memorex, maxwll, phillips. I tried alot of cheapies and couldnt find one brand that wouldnt work, if you find one let me know ill try it on mine :)

17. An6eLo

An6eLo Member

There's been much said about how much better the Philips DVDR75 is to the CyberHome DVR 1500... I was just curious, (since all you guys seem to know what you are talking about with regards to DVRs), if you know the comparison between the DVDR75 and the Lite On LVW-5001/5005 which seems a good buy as well.

After finally backing up most of my 300+ DVDs using computer software, now I gotta move on to archiving the numerous VHS recordings of family events. Either the DVDR75 or the LVW-500X from LiteOn seem a good combination of Recorder as well as a secondary DVD player.

I'd appreciate the input you guys can give to me as I am now only getting my feet wet in DVR archiving. Thanks!

`angelo

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  18. Indept21

Indept21 Guest

ret27m40
    Thanks for the info

An6eLo
    The Lite On looks like a good player, nice features & much easier to navigate menus. The only concern is the power dissipation. It's specs say 45 watts and from the pictures I've seen there are no cooling vents. That was the problem with the Cyberhome, It dissipated 60 watts but did have cooling vent AND plenty of failure problems.

the philips dvdr75 cost about $120 more but had good reviews (except for the less than straight forward menus) and only uses 30 watts on, 3 watts off (for the clock)therefore less heat issues. The Philips also has more recording speeds. They were in hours, 1,2,2.5(2.5 is good for those slightly longer movies without having to go to 3 or 4 hour mode & lower quality picture),3,4,6 hours.
    There were a few other specs which looked better on the philips than the Lite on. Weight the difference in features versus cost & decide for yourself.
    I think I read the RF output sound was in mono with Lite on & it's stereo with the philips.

good luck.

19. Indept21

Indept21 Guest

ret27m40
    Thanks for the info

An6eLo
    The Lite On looks like a good player, nice features & much easier to navigate menus. The only concern is the power dissipation. It's specs say 45 watts and from the pictures I've seen there are no cooling vents. That was the problem with the Cyberhome, It dissipated 60 watts but did have cooling vent AND plenty of failure problems.

the philips dvdr75 cost about $120 more but had good reviews (except for the less than straight forward menus) and only uses 30 watts on, 3 watts off (for the clock)therefore less heat issues. The Philips also has more recording speeds. They were in hours, 1,2,2.5(2.5 is good for those slightly longer movies without having to go to 3 or 4 hour mode & lower quality picture),3,4,6 hours.
    There were a few other specs which looked better on the philips than the Lite on. Weight the difference in features versus cost & decide for yourself.
    I think I read the RF output sound was in mono with Lite on & it's stereo with the philips.

good luck.

20. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

Funny that you should ask about the Liteon 5001, I was just reading about it yesterday. My biggest complaint about the Cyberhome is that the TV tuner is mono ie not stereo. My understanding is that the Liteon 5001 also has a mono TV tuner. Compusa shows a price of $228 after rebates. I don't have any other experience with it. The DVDR75 has a stereo tuner that sounds good (unlike the Cyberhome).