1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR75 review and performance

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by renderman, Mar 28, 2004.

1. eboy123

eboy123 Member

My bad luck:

I noticed a slight problem with video at the top of the screen 'warping' towards the right of the screen. It gets worse the longer a program records... So I figured I'd reserve judgement until I've successfully applied the Firmware, and...

Now, the monitor button causes the DVDR75 to crash with an error code. I can't record anything at all. I did the power-on-self-test by holding play while unplugging the unit and repluggind it; it gave a FAIL error code something like 0600 0 1. Then I did the reset unit procedure: holding the standby button while unplugging and replugging the unit. Still the unit is inoperable.

So I called Philips (which seems to have farmed its phone support to Jamaica--two seperate calls...), and they said they don't advise doing the 'upgrade' unless you have problems. They said the nearest service center was in Louisiana and since I am in Texas, I am debating whether to return the unit to Best Buy or whether to get it services. I really don't feel like paying postage (it would increase the cost of the unit).

Any suggestions on which course to do?

2. cyberkev

cyberkev Member

To Eboy123:
    Try downloading a previous version of flash and install that rather than the latest. I have not checked if other versions are available but as with all download sites, you generally have the option to pick and choose.
    I upgraded with no problems and copy from my VCR and sat signals with no problems. You could also suspect that you have a "lemon" system and need a factory overhaul. (sorry to say but as with all things, there are a few that are faulty out of the factory).

3. eboy123

eboy123 Member

Yeah, I don't fault Philips. It was an open-box item... and its been disco'ed. I'm still not sure whether to take it back or not. If I wait a few weeks, for the price I paid, I can get a brand-new, this-year's model and be well within t Best Buys exchange period... It's tempting. RCA has a competitive model listed on Best Buys web site as "coming soon". What are the odds that I could pick three losers in a row?

4. cyberkev

cyberkev Member

Some of the other threads in this discussion group have had good success. I even ordered the "clarifier" and it works great from DVD and VCR except for some minor shakiness that I'm willing to live with.

5. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

If it doesn't work, sounds like you should return it.
    Prices on the DVDR75 keep coming down. Bestbuy online has it for $280. The DVDR615 should be out soon. Target has it in stock locally here for an outrageously high $399... that should be coming down soon. Walmart is now carrying an 'Aspire' model for $208. DVD recorders will get cheap and plentiful over the coming year.

Cyberhome users have complained about Cyberhome support not being responsive. So far I'm not impressed with Philips either. I emailed them Sunday, they said they'd respond within 2 business days. No answer so far. Why say they're going to respond in 2 days then not do it.

I've figured out a way around the problem I've been having where some channels spontaneously getting squished as letterbox. If I set the screen mode to 16:9 even though I have a 4:3 TV it does not seem to letterbox. Go figure.

6. eboy123

eboy123 Member

Well, I now have an unexpiring credit at BestBuy stores. It's just as well. From what I understand, the $300 recorder field will easily double this electronics season. So I'll hang out and wait for a few to come out. I am kind of interested in an upcoming RCA product now because it has a USB port on it which would allow use of those pen drives...

7. 4hairleft

4hairleft Guest

Amazon: 279
    Best Buy: 279

Mine was $388. !@#!

8. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I've got the Philips 75 and it hasn't given me any major problems. It records fine on most stuff, until I began backing up some of my VHS tapes. The recording tends to be too bright and actually loses detail in the brightest areas. It reminds me of what we call hotspots in photography. Did any of you notice this flaw? I called philips and they gave me software to download. I burned it into a CD, finalized it and then stuck it in the Philips recorder. I saw "reading error" Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

9. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

I've owned a Philips DVDR75 for almost 3 weeks now and have run into lots of problems. I don't understand why no one else complains about the Philips. I had a Cyberhome for 2 months with no lasting problems. It did lock up on me when I did a firmware upgrade, but was able to back up a level and didn't have any problems after that. I returned the Cyberhome because it had a lousy sounding mono TV tuner and I was afraid it would fail. But it hadn't failed, and everything pretty much worked.

The Philips can't handle things my $29 DVD player can.

I've upgraded the Philips to the latest firmware.
    I am experiencing several issues:
    1) Playing back a recording made in M6 mode. Fast forward at 8x is really going much faster than that, skipping ahead 3-5 minutes at a time. Reverse at 8x seems to work fine. There's no commercial skip button, so end result is that skipping commercials is time consuming.
    2) I have had a situation when watching various shows where the tuner squishes the display making it letterbox when it should not be. The mode switches sometimes between commercials. Why is this happening? If the aspect ratio it set to 16:9 this does not happen, however watching widescreen movies are then stretched vertically.
    3) I have experienced two crashes of the unit. Most recently while recording I hit the pause button. The recorder locked up and showed the following on the display "D8059DF IC". Any idea what could have caused that crash?
    4) Playing a DVD movie, the audio goes WAY out of sync with the video. It does not matter which audio track is used, does not matter if analog or digital outputs are used. Movie was Austin Powers.
    5) Sent an email and received confirmation 5/20/2004 saying that they'd respond in 2 business days. Still haven't received a response almost a week later. I got better response from Cyberhome.
    6) MP3 playback not useful. Can not get any sort of listing of what's on the disk. Its strictly one song displayed at a time.
    7) Doesnt support mp3 playback on dvd at all, only from a CD.
    8) I-Link recording. Noticed an entry in a FAQ on the Philips site that says you may get poor recordings through Ilink when set for high quality (M1). They suggest using SVideo or composite instead!!! Why have an Ilink connection if you're going to get bad results? That said, I've tried it on M2 and the results seemed good.

I wonder if folks just assume its a better unit because its supposed to be $399 or $499 or something vs. Cyberhome's $249. But I'm not convinced that this thing is any better. Not being able to play a DVD movie or watch TV without problems in amazingly bad.

10. drivers

drivers Member

Dmelgar, I think your unit may be a lemon. I don't have the performance problems you have with my dvdr75. And I've had no sync problems nor have I had any crashes. You may be right on the 8x speed, but to me that's a non-issue. I love the Philips and have never regretted returning my Cyberhome.

11. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I can't help you with the rest of those problems, but I do know that you can turn the shadowbox off. I had that problem and went into my options and found some settings that controlled the dimensions of the screen.

12. cyberkev

cyberkev Member

I haven't had any problems but most of my recordings are in m2 or m2+ mode because I'm backing up my VHS recordings so I can get ride of them. I do know if you accidentily erase the primary title for the track you recorded the disk is essentially useless even though it has what you recorded on it.

13. eboy123

eboy123 Member

That's funny. I bet we've all done that...especially since edit title edits the titles name, so it would be logical to think delete title was clear titles name.

I think the 'upgrade' firmware is suspect, but this unit as a whole I liked. I'm even toying with the idea of taking my credit and using the now reduced price to get a pack of +rw discs. Essentially the problem I have now is picking a 3-4 hundred dollar recorder that records plus not minus...

14. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

Could you guys or gals help me out with that upgrade CD? I downloaded it and burnt it on a CD from my computer. I tried to open their instructions, but my acrobatic reader wasn't able to pull it up. What exactly are the steps for this? Do you have to use a special CD? Do you finalize the CD and just insert it in the DV Recorder? Is there any special thing you have to do at that point or does it give you prompts on what to do? So far, I just stuck the CD in the Philips and it said it didn't recognize the Data. Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2004
  15. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

If you're having trouble burning the CD, Philips can mail you the CD with the firmware.

16. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I have it on the way. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong for now. How did you do yours?

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2004
  17. rainmanva

rainmanva Member

hello all, i did have problems making my upgrade cd for my unit. i purchased my unit on 5/21/04 after saving a while and getting a full refund from my cyberhome piece of junk.

It took me 45 mintues and 3 cd's to get it right.
    i used nero, to burn the cd.

there are several settings that have to be changed from the default settings.
    1. File system cd-rom iso level 2
    2. mode 2X/A
    3. character set ISO 9660
    4. single session
    5. write speed low.
    after all this you finalize the disc, place it in your unit and download appears on the screen on the unit. it cuts off and on several times and will let you know when its finished. the whole process takes about 15 mintues, roughly.
    the only issued i noticed with mine was that the weekly timer recordings were not starting. i downloaded the firware upgrade and i think everything is ok for now.
    hope this helps!

18. badgerman

badgerman Member

Hello,
    I am a newbie to this forum, but great community. I just bought a DVDR75, and have upgraded the firmware. The big problem I am having is that the VCDS I have played before on a Panasonic A-120 DVD player are only playing in black & white. Second, when I try to some of the computer burnded disks it jsut says ROM and does nothing. Any suggestions, other than returning it back to the vendor?
    Finally, the DVD+RW disks that I have burned for a tests are not playing in the older Panasonic A-120 player, but that may be as much that player's problem.
    Your comments are appreciated.
    Tks

19. Indept21

Indept21 Guest

I followed the directions for the firmware upgrade & used an RW disc & nero. it went fine the first time. As for the discs, keep an eye on compusa's website or their ads. twice in the last 6 weeks they've ran a sale on Maxell DVD +rw 25 hats for $25 (no rebates, thats the actual price) and they have had lots in stock. They work great in the DVDR75. I record to these then use my pc to transfer them to whatever ( DVD + r's & -r's) and they work in my other players.

20. Chipdoo

Chipdoo Member

Hello all,
    Wondering if someone can help me out. I recenelty picked up a DVDR75 open box item at Circuit City.
    Unit is in prestine conditon. Everything seems to work just fine.
    The only problem I have is the Progressive scan. When Im in Progressive scan mode, the video is all distored with horizontal lines through the picture and very brigh flashes. Almost as if the frequency is off. Anyone heard of this. It works fine if I disable progressive, but progressive dont work.
    I have an NEC plamsa screen and its hooked up through the component cables. The manual for my NEC says that it can handle 480p and I dont see any settings that need to be adjusted on my screen.
    Any clues or does anyone think maybe I just picked up a defective unit?
    Thanks in advance,
    -Chip