1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Madness..Yep..a lot of people who have AutoGL..HAVE tried DrDivx & liked it.Xtra bells&whistles.seems a lot less out of sync audio that happens in AGL..QUALITY IS GREAT

2. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

@Rick5446 -

Yugo is an inexpensive no special features car, 4 wheels, steering, engine, tank for gas. It was made by Yugoslavia, which may have gone by a different name in the EU.

Mustang is made by FORD, is a mid range muscle car, currently in a V6 or V8, 300+ Horse Power. It is popular among 30 year olds, and once was used by the California Highway Patrol (Road Police). It's fast and has euphemistically ("Big Balls/Eggs") as some guys like to say. It's a different class car from the Yugo. It also costs 4 times more.

The reason for the reference is to help explain why mentioning the LG Divx playing in this thread is a waist because people who are looking for the PVP5140 class player are not looking for HDMI, they are looking for simple but effective Divx, which the DVP5140 does exceedingly well.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

dcmorrow..HaHahahaha..OK Thabnks I'm just old & C-nile
    I agree on 5140..I bought mine on 05/25/06..It has'nt been turn off since.I keep a DVD in it constantly,I find it to be a good & durable Player

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  4. Madness

Madness Member

Yeah really! It's a $55 player -- but it offers quite a large playback capability for that price. I have yet to find something in my mixed disc collection that it won't play. And that jpeg slideshow feature is really awesome.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

WOULD like to see a player that also played WMV & MOV

6. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

yeah show us

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

yamumma..Thats what i say

8. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

oh.. ok

9. bcounty

bcounty Member

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

GO TO WalMart ITS ONLY 56BUCKS 5140/37
    its the same player just listed in diff words

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  11. bcounty

bcounty Member

UNFORTUNATELY, none of the local Walmarts carry this player. I'd have to order it on-line (which would tack on shipping). I may do this eventually. But my 642 is working fine for me so far.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'M IN Tampa & they carry it,I don't think WalMart charges tax on shipped items.So it would be about the same.Nice thing about WalMart is if it don't work U can take it to a local store for refund.But really not heard about this unit not working,where as the 642 U had a 70/30 chance it would work

13. ironD

ironD Guest

I went ahead and got myself one, didn't know at the time it could be made region free. I am very pleased with it, the fact that it's a "cheap" player doesn't change the fact that so far it does everything well....better than my high dollar player.

D

14. Saber9

Saber9 Guest

I can't beleive no one mentioned this!

This player doesn't have OPTICAL Audio output like the 642 did. i think I'm still gonna get it but I have to buy a coaxial cable now.

Sigh....you can never win. Ever.

15. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

That's funny because we've talked about it quite a bit.

It didn't bother me that it doesn't have fiber out becuase I use the 5140 in my bedroom and the 642 on my main system.

I have yet found a reason to change, but when I get that one must see movie in DD5.1 I will make the switch, and use the coax out, just be cause I can...

BTW: I am using COAX out on my 642. I have Sony 5 DVD changer I use the optical out on and they both co-exist on the same DVD port on my Sony AV Reciever.

16. bcounty

bcounty Member

Hi,

The 3040 has a problem with some video files looking "stuttery". It was posted on another board that:

As far as a I know, it is the *combination* of both packed bitstream and 2 consequtive b-frames that cause the problem with mediatek-based chipsets.

Since the 5140 has the same chipset, I'm trying to find out if this problem exists with that player as well, before purchasing one. I've seen the problem first hand on the 3040, but am hoping it is solved with the 5140. Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

17. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I watched a stuttery video last night on my 642. I will try it out on my 5140 and see if it's the same. The point I am trying to make is that if it is stuttery on one player it will be on another. It's not the chipset doing the decoding, it's a bad encode to begin with.

The 642 has ESS chip.

18. bcounty

bcounty Member

I don't think that is accurate. I have seen a number of files (entire seasons on two different shows come to mind) that are stuttery on the 3040 with the Media-Tek chipset, but ARE NOT stuttery on the 642. Supposedly, the problem is the *combination* of both packed bitstream and 2 consequtive b-frames (I do not know if this is accurate, but it's the only explanation I've seen listed).

So I'm trying to find out if the 5140 has the same problem with stuttery playback on certain files as the 3040 (since they both have the same chipset) or if the problem was fixed in the 5140.

I have never seen a stuttery file on my 642.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

All these questions can't be answered unless U know what codecs were used on the video & what video[G-Spot]!I would put most of the blame on the Videos or the burn speed.I only burn at 6x with no problems.I've used the 5140 since 5/25/06 & have had no problems with the Player,it has played everything I D/L.Most of my D/L's are TV series with 12 episodes on ea Disc.Ocassionaly I will get a little audio,video sync problem.But even that is rare,maybe 1 in 100 episodes
    If u know the problem is the Video,& it irrates U that much use DrDivx to Re-Do it.However long the VIDEO is how long it takes to redo
    Fair WARNING Alway use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to check your Videos first,not all are keepers
    By the way my player is on 24/7,even when I sleep

20. bcounty

bcounty Member

You are missing the point of my post. Obviously, the file is encoded a certain way that is causing the problem -- HOWEVER, the file plays fine on the 642, it STUTTERS in the video on the 3040, which has the SAME CHIPSET as the 5140. It has been stated that the Mediatek chipset has a problem playing files encoded a certain way -- they end up looking stuttery. I have seen this first-hand. These files DO NOT look stuttery on the 642. I need to find out if these files look stuttery on the 5140 before I buy the player, or if the 5140 does not have the same problem as the 3040 of playing these files encoded that way.

Can't think of any other way to explain it. Please refrain from further posts about how to re-encode -- that's NOT what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to find out if the 5140 plays those files the same way as the 3040 (which the 642 does not) -- stuttery-looking. Thanks.